Latest beta versions often doesn't delete data/torrent

SumiVano

only with the latest beta versions if you remove an old torrent by right clicking and "Remove and" -> "Delete .torrent + Data" most of the time both the .torrent file and the data files aren't deleted, the torrent only disappears from uTorrent list. This did always work before and no setting was changed. It doesn't happen every time, I'm in a process of cleaning out my complete files for some days now (always switching to the latest beta on every update) and on some torrents all files were deleted, but on most torrents all files stay on disk. Using XP Pro SP2 btw.

The file (.torrent and/or data) delete is now asynchronous... before, the entire program would wait until it was safe to delete files (which would sometimes appear as a lockup, as this wait could go for minutes, depending on several factors). Now, the GUI will reflect the change immediately, and the program will continue running, but the selected file(s) won't be deleted until it is safe to do so.

@Richard Choi: Thx for this information. I didn't wait but deleted the files manually. Next time I try to wait and see if the files disappear after some minutes. This would be OK for me, I assumed that the delete doesn't work at all.

EDIT1: Now I was a bit more patient ;) and of course you're right. The files disappeared after a minute or so. This is OK, I just don't want to keep useless files I meant to delete filling my hard drives.

EDIT2: Oops, thought everything is fine but just found a bug: Again I deleted an old torrent (1. stopped the torrent, 2. moved some finished files of this torrent to a different drive so about half of the files are no longer present, 3. removed the torrent from uT with "Delete .torrent + Data"). Like before the files didn't vanish immediately. But this time I shutdown uTorrent shortly after removing this torrent and the remaining data files and the .torrent file are still there after uT disappeared from task manager.

So the new asynchronous delete forgets to force the pending jobs on application shutdown.

@ SumiVano: thanks for the report. Does the bug reproduce if you take out step 2 (moving some of the completed files)?

Ok, I investigated this further, and while we do check that all deleted torrents are finished processing before we exit (among other things), we cap the amount of time to wait so the program closes in a reasonable amount of time.

I just tried to delete a torrent by copying files out instead of moving, so no content of the torrent is missing. The delete process was now done immediately. I assume you try to delete every single file recursively and if you get an error from OS you wait and retry later. In special case of the "file/folder does not exist" error waiting is senseless, you should consider this item as already deleted and immediately move on to the next file.

Archived