Improper integration into Vista's firewall - speed issues

LAZAR0

well, I didn't notice this one is up... so I will share with you my problem (and solution).

I use uTorrent for quite a while - and I'm quite satisfied. In windows XP, my download speeds are often about 150 kB/s (this sounds even better when I tell you that my "official" net speed is 800/200 kbit/s, however "unofficial" is usually about 1400/340 kbit/s. I know, good ISP. :P) and about 175 kB/s when downloading recommended testing torrents (like Ubuntu).

Well, few days ago I had decided to upgrade to Windows Vista. And then speed problems occured. I wasn't able to reach higher stable speed than 50 kB/s. (and so "high speed" stood only for test torrents). Everything seemed fine - no problems with NAT, firewall... except down speeds (and maybe also up speeds, they seemed to be quite slow, too). I tried many usuall ways to solve this - I tried uTorrent 1.6.1 and 1.7 beta, I tried to change my up speeds, manualy add port to firewall - with no difference.

Then an idea came up in my mind - I had manually removed uTorrent from firewall's exception list, then I started it, a firewall's pop-up window appeared, I hit "unblock" and then - guess what.

Yes, in about 2 seconds I was downloading at 175 kB/s stable speed. (It was an Ubuntu release).

Pretty interesting. BTW I'm using Vista Premium and this is not the first time it appeared. (For the first time it was on Vista RC1, and if I remember it well, I solved it in a same way like this time.)

I recently got a computer with Vista home basic. I downloaded utorrent standalone, which is what I had on my old computer with XP. When I open utorrent to download it says the port isn't open. I've tried using random ports and I've disabled the firewalls in Windows and Norton, but can't get the ports to open. Torrents do download, but the bottom icon is either yellow or red. Does anyone have any suggestions. If you know how to solve the problem don't be afraid to "spell" it out for me, I am not a computer wizard. BTW I'm using a modem not a router.

well, at first place you need to find out if only uTorrent cannot open ports or same goes for other apps. I am not a ICQ user, but in QIP you may set up any port in order to send / recieve files. Try this - if you will be succesful, then try the same port in uTorrent. If you won't, then focus on your modem. And of course get the latest uTorrent build.

Archived