Migration from Azureus to uTorrent Troubles

pogue

Hi all,

I am making the switch from Azureus to uTorrent since Azureus was using up about 99% CPU all the time. However, I've run into a small problem that I'm not sure is related to uTorrent or not. I'll start off w/ my system stats first. I'm using WinXP SP2 w/ TCPIP patch. Pentium M 2ghz, 2GB DDR RAM, nVidia Geforce 6800 w/ 64mb. I am on a Linksys WRT54GL router, however, I have Sveasoft third party firmware installed which is supposed to have the speed/cache/connect limit resolved.

The problem I'm having is this:

I was initially using Shareaza as my client to download torrents, ed2k, and from G1/G2 networks. However, that crapped out and I switched to Azureus, and now am using uTorrent. I installed uTorrent yesterday and merged most of my torrents successfully. The files that I had set to download were coming in fast and the files I was seeding seemed to be working fine. However, when I started up uTorrent today I noticed that a bunch of the torrents I was seeding now have red X's on them and have the error message "Error: Can't open torrent file: F:\...". When I look in that folder for the torrent, I notice that the extension has been renamed to .torrent.loaded. Now, I didn't rename the torrents to that extension, and I haven't ran Azureus or any other program that should have accessed the files since then either. I checked to make sure that the files that they were linked to were still there, but I can't figure out why they have the .loaded file extension added. Did uTorrent do this?

I tried to use the RENAME.BAT file mentioned in the migration guide with the following string:

@for /r %%i in (*.loaded) do @move "%%~fi" "%%~dpni"

However, when I try and run that in DOS I get the error The syntax of the command is incorrect. So, I tried typing it in manually (the 'for' command at the prompt) and got the error %%i was unexpected at this time. So, what should I do? There are a lot of torrents I would have to manually rename and I'm not sure what caused this or if it will happen again, so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

pogue

@pogue: No idea about why the torrents got renamed, but if you don't want to use a dedicated bulk renaming utility, try this command at the DOS prompt in the directory with the .torrent.loaded files:

for /r %v in ("*.loaded") do ren "%v" "%~nv"

You should end up with only .torrent files. If you don't want the renaming to be carried out recursively in all sub-directories, remove the /r option from the command.

http://www.utorrent.com/faq.php#How_can_I_make_.C2.B5Torrent_auto-load_torrents_from_a_specified_folder.3F

.loaded files comes from the use of torrent auto-loading. Make sure you heeded the warning in the auto-load group title in Preferences > Other and set the auto-load path to some directory different from the .torrent file storage directories.

@ajones81: That worked, but...

Ok, well it's definitely uTorrent that is renaming them. I exited UT I ran that command and it renamed all my torrent files from .torrent.loaded to .torrent. Then, I restarted it and it started trying to download a bunch of the files I already had completed, or completed to the point where I already wanted the parts from it. I assume it was restarting files that I had opted not to download parts of in Azureus, but Azurues had still allocated the space for them. The files I was downloading were still downloading, but in the folder all the torrents are renamed again .torrent.loaded. The files w/ the red X's on them still had the red X's even though the file is still in the same folder and is still completed, but now it just says "Error:" and when I go to properties it doesn't give me anymore specific information. I did a "Force Re-Check" on all of them and they are working and seeding, but still - all my .torrent files are named .torrent.loaded.

@Ultima: I don't have a folder set for torrent storage files, but I do have "Move .torrents for finished jobs to" as the same folder as "Automatically load torrents in directory". I don't have "Delete torrent instead of renaming, when loading" checked. Should I change this?

Thanks for the help.

Archived