TorrentsForAll.net Advises against utorrent 1.7+

Thunderpants

PM I JUST Received

" It has been determined that utorrent 1.7 and upwards has a bug that reports your stats incorrectly.

It has also been determined that it reports private info outside of the tracker.

we advise anyone using these versions to downgrade back to utorrent 1.6.1. you can download it by clicking HERE . Anybody using 1.7 or above does so at their own risk and we will not be given any user support.

Cheers

TFA-Staff "

That's 3 sites i'm a member on now, soon there won't be any sites allowing utorrent 1.7+

Where the fuck is the proof?

a little too jumpy don't you think?

I don't want to start a endless discussion all over again, so let's be clear. There is no proof now, in the future, we don't know, but utorrent is no longer a safe client. Why? When you use torrent is for download something illegal the 99.8% of the times (somebody 80% 50% 20% 1% don't care). You joined forces: utorrent -> bittorent inc -> MPAA = WTF????

Most of the trackers don't want to be connected/related with something that had links with MPAA, RIAA, etc. so in the next days and weeks utorrent 1.7+ will be banned in almost all sites. If you can't connect to the trackers with the client, the program is meaningless.

Because you joined forces with the wrong people, now the best bittorrent client is / will be fucked up.

Why? When you use torrent is for download something illegal the 99.8% of the times (somebody 80% 50% 20% 1% don't care). You joined forces: utorrent -> bittorent inc -> MPAA = WTF????

This is proof that you don't know the relationship graph.

BitTorrent INC's interactions with the MPAA are restricted to taking down MPAA content links from their search engine.

That's where the interactions end.

Period.

If you're going to claim otherwise, provide substantial proof.

BitTorrent isn't owned by, run by or really affiliated with the MPAA (apart from having to take down copyrighted content from the bittorrent.com search engine, which has nothing to do with the client), and they've had no dealings with the RIAA.

a little too jumpy don't you think?

No more jumpy than tracker admins banhammering on a whim and making excuses to cover themselves just because of the very same, skewed perception of reality that you've exhibited up above. That, or it's just the "bandwagon effect" in play. At any rate, there hasn't yet been any compelling proof produced to support their claims. How many times has this been now? Three? And yet, somehow, µTorrent has managed to plow through every FUD-fest without a blemish.

Anyhow, let's play the overexaggerated-FUD-spreading-relationship-trail game again!

Microsoft -> US Government = WTF?????

Azureus* -> VUZE -> movie studios = WTF????

:rolleyes:

* Azureus was "caught" with some real phone-home thing enabled for many versions (without anyone's knowledge) somewhere in the 2.x branch of development -- before Zuedo/VUZE came around. zomg! Did they store the data (whatever it was that got sent back) and sell them to the movie studios?!

BitTorrent INC's interactions with the MPAA are restricted to taking down MPAA content links from their search engine.

That's where the interactions end.

Period.

Talk about delicious irony...

One of these systems that we have been discussing does not allow Microsoft products to be posted, at Microsoft's request.

Thanks that make you go "Hmmm."

Azureus was "caught" with some real phone-home thing enabled for many versions (without anyone's knowledge) somewhere in the 2.x branch of development -- before Zuedo/VUZE came around. zomg!

Without anyone's knowledge? It was put in the code, it wasn't "sneaked" in, there was no attempt to bother hiding it in the code, or encrypting the data sent. It wasn't sending back anything to identify a user or what they were downloading.

I don't believe that "no-one" had encountered it before, but it wasn't for a long time that someone overly-paranoid encountered it.

Did they store the data (whatever it was that got sent back) and sell them to the movie studios?!

This page details what is sent to the server. We all know how much the movie studios love to know what window size we use for our P2P apps... ;)

I know that - but I'm sure you don't appreciate misinformation being spread about uTorrent as much as I don't appreciate it being spread about Azureus (although I do realise the comment was somewhat tongue-in-cheek anyway).

Azureus was sending back a little more than that before they admittied that it was a "bug/feature" that they had "forgotten" to remove. I am using THEIR words here, not mine. It was for all intensive purposes - removed once it became known.

I should know since I was part of the group that discovered it.

> Most of the trackers don't want to be connected/related with something that had

> links with MPAA, RIAA, etc. so in the next days and weeks utorrent 1.7+ will be

> banned in almost all sites. If you can't connect to the trackers with the client, the

> program is meaningless.

> Because you joined forces with the wrong people, now the best bittorrent client is /

> will be fucked up.

So many people, so late to the party! Read some news, people -- this stuff happened like 18 and 12 months ago!

Did these trackers ban uTorrent 1.6.1? I think that release post-dates the acquisition by BitTorrent, Inc. as well. Banning 1.7.1 is illogical.

If you like uTorrent, then defend it! Make the accusers show one shred of evidence! Why are you giving up on "the best bittorrent client" so quickly?

Meanwhile, read up on your top questions. What did Bram Cohen say about whether any information on usage would be shared with **AA? He said "Absolutely not." Also, what does BitTorrent Inc's privacy policy say about sharing such information? It says that they will not. It's in writing.

BitTorrent bought uTorrent because the reference application wasn't as popular. Would they throw away that investment by violating users' trust? C'mon -- you're listening to scuttlebutt!

> Azureus was "caught" with some real phone-home thing enabled ...

(Insert something about stones and glass houses here) ... Azureus is open source, anyone who wants to know what it does can simply look. That, alone, provides some added level of comfort and assurance. Too bad that we can't say the same for uTorrent (or BitComet, and probably a few others). However, in uTorrent's defense, I'm not sure being Open Source would help. Too many people are too willing to believe ANYTHING, it seems!

> Azureus was sending back a little more than that

Davros, was it malicioius or an innocent mistake? Again, it's open source. Was it obfuscated somehow?

> Did these trackers ban uTorrent 1.6.1? I think that release post-dates the acquisition by

> BitTorrent, Inc. as well. Banning 1.7.1 is illogical.

Bitme.tv did ban 1.6.1 for a while when it was released, so maybe they will unban 1.7.1

TorrrentsForAll.net hasn't banned 1.7+, there just advising against it

(although I do realise the comment was somewhat tongue-in-cheek anyway).

Exactly. I've nothing against Azureus, and wasn't trying to insinuate anything about it. The point was to say the claims about µTorrent are about as ridiculous as the "claim" I made against Azureus.

Exactly. I've nothing against Azureus, and wasn't trying to insinuate anything about it. The point was to say the claims about µTorrent are about as ridiculous as the "claim" I made against Azureus.

Fair enough - I just couldn't tell how much tongue was in that cheek in your comment. :)

(By the way, I'm happy to carry on this conversation on Azureus's forums or PM's or whatever if the forum mods aren't happy with it being here...)

A complete set of torrent hashes to the Zeudo website.

What - all downloads or just those with Zudeo / Vuze content (which I believe is the case)? There was a discussion here (and the post regarding contacting the Zudeo website is here).

Azureus was sending back a little more than that before they admittied that it was a "bug/feature" that they had "forgotten" to remove

Which, as far as I'm aware, was the download statistics stuff (how many downloads being handled, total upload / download byte count since Azureus was installed, that sort of thing) - or do you mean something else? The contact with zudeo.com and the version check server are two different things...

A complete set of torrent hashes to the Zeudo website.

What - all downloads or just those with Zudeo / Vuze content (which I believe is the case)? There was a discussion here (and the post regarding contacting the Zudeo website is here).

It was all downloads initially.

> Most of the trackers don't want to be connected/related with something that had

> links with MPAA, RIAA, etc. so in the next days and weeks utorrent 1.7+ will be

> banned in almost all sites. If you can't connect to the trackers with the client, the

> program is meaningless.

> Because you joined forces with the wrong people, now the best bittorrent client is /

> will be fucked up.

So many people, so late to the party! Read some news, people -- this stuff happened like 18 and 12 months ago!

Did these trackers ban uTorrent 1.6.1? I think that release post-dates the acquisition by BitTorrent, Inc. as well. Banning 1.7.1 is illogical.

If you like uTorrent, then defend it! Make the accusers show one shred of evidence! Why are you giving up on "the best bittorrent client" so quickly?

Meanwhile, read up on your top questions. What did Bram Cohen say about whether any information on usage would be shared with **AA? He said "Absolutely not." Also, what does BitTorrent Inc's privacy policy say about sharing such information? It says that they will not. It's in writing.

Agree 100% and I'am still use the old Lude release version,becouse I don't trust Bram Cohen!

You must know that Bram Cohen must got back money somehow and I don't think that Bram Cohen is really so nice guy that all this hard work is only for us and totaly free!

It's better to use some other client with less features,but safe!!

µTorrent will hopefully be the embedded software in next-generation game and major software auto-updaters.

Brian Cohen knew what he was doing to buy it out...getting all the source code so there's little doubt what it's doing. (Which Ludde probably had to "pretty up" before selling it off! :P )

BitTorrent Inc. could chop µTorrent FURTHER down for game auto-updaters, since they don't need every feature µTorrent offers for potentially even fewer user configuration problems and bugs. The interface could be very spartan and still functional for that, or even none at all run-in-the-background.

There's been talk about replacing streaming video/audio setups with BitTorrent downloading/uploading. This certainly would reduce problems due to latency/slow download+upload speeds so long as it's expected to complete the download BEFORE anything can be viewed/heard.

µTorrent is a tool, a means to an end, not the end profitable item itself to BitTorrent Inc.

BitTorrent Inc. could chop µTorrent FURTHER down for game auto-updaters, since they don't need every feature µTorrent offers for potentially even fewer user configuration problems and bugs. The interface could be very spartan and still functional for that, or even none at all run-in-the-background.

Heh, got that right :P It's gonna be called BitTorrent DNA, and will be based on µTorrent.

Archived