Can't read text in preferences

robojo

I have my color scheme altered in XP to be darker than the default one. In the beta 3 and the new 1.2.1 version I can't read the descriptions in any of the preferences tabs. Not sure if this belongs in the bugs section or here. I haven't run across the problem in any of the other apps I use.

prefs1.jpg

The problem actually seems to come and go, I can currently see the text, can't see any corralation with anything else I'm doing to locate a cause. I did upgrade to 1.2.2, but I think I was able to see the text again before the upgrade came down. I don't have a language file.

That's certainly possible, though I hadn't noticed a problem in any other apps. The stranger part is that it is working fine now, even though I made no changes. I guess I'll have to wait for it to go weird again before I can try troubleshooting it some more...

I just found this thread today while looking for discussion about the same problem. My system is Win XP Pro SP2 (all MS patches yadda yadda), and I have no changes to my default color scheme in Windows (although I'm using Win Classic theme rather than the XP standard theme). Same issues as reported in this thread. The Preferences tabs (not just General for me) all come up with missing text/boxes/etc. In addition, warning or confirmation dialogs come up with blank areas. No other programs on my box exhibit this behavior.

I'll keep playing to see if something in my vid card settings/drivers could be the culprit, but I wanted to add this note right now so you know it's just not one person out there seeing the issue. [bTW, Dell Inspiron laptop with integrated Intel 82852/82855 GM/GME graphics controller.]

--dean

Mine has been fine lately, but I wanted to throw in something else that I just remembered. When I was having this problem, when uTorrent first opened up, I got a dialog window with three buttons, but their was no text on the window at all, so I had no idea what to do (I 'X'd the window closed instead of pressing a button with an unknown outcome). I more recently got this window again, but the text was on it this time, it was the dialog window asking if you want to make uTorrent the default application for .torrent files. So, this disappearing text problem isn't limited to the preferences window, it seems to affect dialog boxes as well.

I'm unfamiliar with the GPU acronym.

Edit: My internal acronym processor (aka brain) finally kicked in and suggested "Graphics Processing Unit", which my internal translating processor suggests is a "video card". I think it's a Radeon 7500, but not positive, I'll check when I get home. If this wasn't your question, then you'll need to define GPU for me...

Hmm...that rules out an Intel GPU bug. :| Most probably this is a specific bug with your particular setups...I'm just trying to find out what both of you have in common hardware-wise. Right now I can't think of a possible solution, but if anything pops into my head I'll let y'all know. :)

i have the same sympthoms on XP (dell latitude 610 with ati mobility radeon x300, sp2 +hotfixes yada, win classic style). on my desktop XP with ati radeon 9600 and modified theme no probs

i must add that this behaviour is not consistent here i.e. just restarting µ without changing anything sometimes helps... so it seems it's not so easy to track down where the problem lies

OK, I noticed a pattern. All of you are using the classic theme, right? :| I hate to say it, but there are a lot of other very nice themes out there which are nicer than the classic theme, yet do not consume any more resources than the Windows default. Maybe the other themes don't exhibit the same behaviour. This is probably a bug with GDI + Windows Classic Theme + Low-End GPU's... :|

Here's some very nice Windows themes:

http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showforum=36

http://browse.deviantart.com/skins/windows/visualstyle/?view=1&order=9&limit=24

Patch your Windows XP installation to accept third-party Visual Styles (if you haven't done so already):

http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=308905

I'll live with the issue rather than do theme mucking at the moment. [Two issues - (a) backwards compatibility to the old NT servers and Win2K boxes at home, and (B) not nearly enough spare time...:-)] However, I can report that going out to Dell this weekend and updating the vid drivers appears to have made the problem go away.

-dean

thx 1c3d0g but i rather stick to the classic theme - i'm not interested in 'nicer' view you see i've chosen to turn off all the annoying bells & whistles of the default xp interface ;) . i think µ is a fantastic bt client and this gui issue is not something that scares me off; i'd be happy to see it addressed however.

All non-classic themes consume more resources. :P

I use Windows Classic: I don't HAVE theme support anymore.

I've seen text disappear like that (and buttons usually turn Win3.1 style) when the memory use goes really really high and Windows doesn't seem to free it properly.

i be damned..this does not make any sense to me BUT... if i enable UPnP the props screen and dialogues become readable again :o

edit: thought i'd better add a screenshot with the location of that checkbox to help the other victims...

upnp.gif

Aadu, you hit it on the head. Mine is working fine currently, but I have played with the UPnP box before (and I've had the problem before). So, I unchecked UPnP and hit OK. Went back into prefs and everything was fine. Quit uTorrent and restarted it. Went into prefs and all the text was gone. I went back in and turned on UPnP and said OK, then went back into prefs and the text was already back, didn't even require exiting and returning. So, this appears to be a bug somehow related to turning off UPnP. Since you found it, you want to submit it to the bug reporter?

Archived