µT freezes PC

hanssen

This looks like a severe bug. I've been using µT for years now, and this never happened before version 1.7.1. It occurs on 2 different machines I'm using it on, ever since I've overwritten the older version with 'stable' 1.7.1. One is in Windows 2000, the other is in XP x64 environment;

For me often the actual torrent-content gets deleted separate from µT. So that's not the torrent-file itself, but the data. Normally when I do this I later see the red crosses in µT and then, to be sure that everything gets deleted, I do Remove torrent+data.

This action now freezes the µTorrent plus the system, until I close µT!

When I only do Remove torrent nothing is wrong.

It seems µT expects the data to be there, and when in some cases it no longer finds it, it fucks up.

I had the same thing happen on my Windows 98 SE machine. Some kind of memory leak or something bad??

I had been runing uTorrent 1.6.1 and it was fine, then I updated to 1.7 and then 1.7.1. If I had the program running for 15-20 minutes, my computer would be completely frozen.

I could ctrl-alt-del and it would say "memory resources are low, do you want to stop this program?" and then list all the active programs I had running at the time with that same question.

I looked online and found a prior version of uTorrent 1.6.1 and reinstalled it and it is working fine now. Been running for a few hours, no memory leak at all.

I've got µTorrent on a Windows 98 SE machine. Been using it since long before v1.4 and now using v1.7.1 (will change to v1.7.2 tomorrow when I reboot). I have seen some video, gui, and basic windows jitter...and even sound glitches and jitters when µTorrent is under a heavy load. But normally (95+% of the time) I cannot even detect that. Even while only seeding, µTorrent causes quite a bit of hard drive noises. My guess is it's doing all kinds of random reading of torrent files. Lots of head seeks maybe? Anyhow, the jitter and glitches seem to coincide with the hard drive noises.

There are no sign of virus or trojan infection on this computer, (tested via HijackThis, Process Explorer, TCPView, MSCONFIG, random searches for recent/new files in system folders) though I wouldn't be surprised if something is simply too well-hidden for the searches I'm doing. Another possibility is driver corruption, though I have been unable to determine where/how/if drivers are corrupt. Or driver/program incompatibility...though I tend to "uninstall" (with prejudice) more and more of the Windows OS as time goes on. I've not let stuff like Adobe Flash or Zone Alarm ever get installed in the first place.

For me neither. I don't use realtime access scanners, nor do I use a software-based firewall.

The only tool that *could* be of influence is PeerGuardian, but I doubt that, since it was also there with 1.6

Anyway, as you can read in the start of this thread, I wasn't speaking of memory related bugs, I just pointed to how it crashed/froze my machine when Removing error-marked torrents+data from the list.

It's not so smart to move out my reply. (whoever did that, it belongs in THIS thread, which I started)

i have tested utorrent 1.7.0 and 1.7.1. cpu usage is low, but my windows freezes periodically (and all running programs) for few seconds and after that all begin works... and again my windows freezes for few seconds periodically... my pc has athlon xp 1700+ cpu with 768 ddr and windows 2000. i have not these problems with 1.6.1.

sorry for my poor english

I had same problem of crashing with 1.7.1 and then went to 1.7.2. Kept crashing and i was getting so annoyed with the way zonealarm was as well I unstalled that and utorrent started working again fine. Is there any possibility it could be the firewall doesn't like the updated utorrent?

and my hard drive works in pio mode only when i use utorrent 1.7.0 or higher version? and works in UDMA mode 5 when i use 1.6.1? i work in company where i repair computer hardware and fix software (especially win9x/winxp/win2003 and sometimes linux)... and i have no errors in event log...

yes i know it. but some people looking for problems in my windows...

"Windows XP reverts to PIO mode after several attempts to use DMA mode have failed. If this had happened, Windows XP will not return to DMA mode even if you instruct it to do so." (it's same for win2000) and i have not this problem. if i have this problem, event log must shows error...

I started utorrent it asked if I wanted to upgrade to latest version I said yes since then PC kept on freezing till i removed the current version and went back to 1.61 and it has worked fine. there is a bug in current version

Archived