Pause/Limit all torrents when specific applications are launched.

kapowaz

One reason I don't like to run µTorrent continually is that whenever I'm playing online games the performance of these games suffers massively if there is a lot of upstream traffic. The simple solution is of course to simply disable µTorrent manually before I launch my game, but I've found that having to do this each and every time has just led to me not bothering to launch µTorrent in the first place, unless I'm actively downloading something. Obviously this doesn't lend itself to seeding nicely.

So, what I'd like would be a way of telling µTorrent to either pause or select a new maximum upload rate whenever certain applications are launched. I could specify a list of executable paths, and whenever one of these launches, µTorrent automatically switches into bandwidth-efficient mode. As soon as the application quits, it'd switch back to the normal speed without any interaction, and torrents will thus seed transparently.

Install cFosSpeed. Once you've verified that it helps, purchase it (it's only 9 euros).

cFosSpeed is a traffic shaper - you assign priorities to protocols and programs, and it makes sure that higher-priority traffic gets handled first (with ACKs being the highest priority). Once bandwidth becomes available again, your torrent upload speed will automatically go up again. Browse the documentation and forums at the site if you need more info than that.

Within 2 days of installing it, I'd paid for it - it made that much of a difference. I've only got a 256Kbit (32 Kbyte) upload, and setting my maximum upload to 16KBytes, I had continuous timeouts on webpages, etc because the ACKs weren't getting through. After installing cFosSpeed I increased my upload to 28Kbyte (I decided to still leave a small amount, though it's not really needed).

Now the only time I have any problems is if there's a high-bandwidth HTTP or FTP download going on, since they run at the same priority as pulling down web pages. But the cFosSpeed team are constantly developing, and are working on detecting "bulk" data at the moment, as well as shaping download speeds as well as upload speeds. With the latest beta you can give a lower priority to "bulk" ssl traffic, and I expect that soon you will be able to do the same for "bulk" http and ftp traffic.

Noe that cFosSpeed helps with all your network traffic - for example, VoIP traffic (Skype, etc) can be given a higher priority than any other, meaning that when you're on a call your voice quality is high.

Archived