Freeze while deleting torrent+data

Honeyfrog

Set-up: Build 3458, WinXP, download destination is a network (100baseT) drive (7200rpm).

When instructing uTorrent to delete torrent+data, the program is temporarily inaccessible for several seconds (sometimes up to ten seconds) for all commands, even attempts to move the window or minimize it.

The delay appears to have nothing to do with the size of the material to be deleted (uTorrent will freeze even if no data has been saved yet), and I suspect the bug was introduced as a consequence of patching the "Way too long to delete" annoyance detailed here: http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=25963

I have the exact same problem, and its been like this for several builds now.

Although I sometimes can just wait a few seconds and it clears up, most of the time uTorrent uses almost all my CPU-time for more than half an hour (thats how long I felt for waiting...) until I kill it. When I restart uTorrent, the torrent I was deleting is still there, but uTorrent can't find the data for it (its red: Error: Files missing from job. Please recheck.), so uTorrent did delete some of the files for the torrent, but not the torrent itself.

Running uTorrent 1.7.2 build 3458 on Vista Ultimate.

For some reason it does not seem to happen right after uTorrent have been started. Other than that, its a very frequent appearing bug. Really annoying, but it may be better to delete the torrent only in uTorrent and delete the data manually.

[LINK SNIPPED]

Extract the contents to C:\Test\ and run utorrent.exe. Select all torrents, Shift+Delete. It'll hang for a while.

Edit: After some laborious testing...

1625 behaves similarly to 2481

2481 takes around 2-3 seconds to unhang

--------------------------------------------

2517 takes around 15-20 seconds to unhang

3542 behaves similarly to 2517

A change between 2481 and 2517 caused the hanging I'm seeing in my test case. I tried looking at C:\Test\ while the files were deleting, and you could *see* the difference. With build 2481, all the files simply disappeared after 2 seconds. With 2517, you could see each file disappearing one by one. Extra checks for nasty conditions?

Edit: µTorrent v1.6 (build 474) seems to be at least as fast as build 1625 in removing the torrent jobs.

Anyhow, I'm not really sure how much this test case is actually related to the other users' problems, as mine seems to be purely a quantity issue, and doesn't take much else into account, like size (if it even is a factor in deletion time).

(2007-07-31) Big oversight on my part in the above testing... I'd forgotten that since removing to Recycle Bin was changed to default, it was no longer written to settings.dat, so switching between 2481 (which had the option off by default) and 2517 (which had the option on by default) was basically the same as toggling the Recycle Bin option. As you've probably gathered by now, the deleting to Recycle Bin option was what caused the slowness when deleting the torrent jobs in this test case. After retesting 3542 with the option turned off, it's even faster than 1625. So yeah, the verdict of the story is that moving stuff to the Recycle Bin is slow (probably because changing filesystem entries is slower than simply deleting them?). I'm not sure if Richard's fix (mentioned below) fixes this, but I hope so :P

And now, I'm starting to doubt it's related to Honeyfrog's problem :/

• 2 weeks later...

Huzzah! ....eh, could we see the first 1.8 alpha with it? (I really hate this bug. Today I delete-removed a torrent whose material I'd already manually tossed off the drive, and which has been "stopped" across multiple launch/quit cycles -- and it froze for fifteen seconds. Ugh.)

You'll get it when it's ready :)

This wasn't the only change made for 1.8, and from what I've seen, there will have been PLENTY of other big changes that made their way into 1.8 by now -- unsuitable for public testing. That said, if another bugfix build gets released for 1.7.x, it'll include the fix, as the patch was merged into the 1.7.x branch as well.

• 8 months later...

This is still a problem, and have been for a very long while now. Sometimes it seems to help to stop the torrent before removing it, but not always. I just did this with a small torrent download, and the cpu stayed high for 15 mins.

What works better is to open the file manager (such as Explorer), delete the file(s) and then remove the torrent from uTorrent.

uTorrent's worst "feature" by far.

Subjective words like "small" are useless for a test case. Given there was a problem previously and changes were made... OK. What build/version are you using (Alt-H-A to find out)? What size was the torrent data, and how many files? How many trackers were listed in the torrent properties?

Bugs which are transient must be reproduced usually to be fixed, hence the leadtime in the last fix. Please provide more information.

Quite true. I am very sympathetic, but changing to another client makes me less so... if there is a problem and it only occurs with certain setups don't you think you'd feel better at the end of the day getting the program with the leanest overhead regarding torrents to work with this unique setup instead of using another program to leave the problem for the next person reporting isolated instances....

If you wish to continue troubleshooting I'd recommend Process Monitor from the same people who made Process Explorer. The difference? It logs all activity on your filesystem/registry. Starting logging (Ctrl-E) and filtering to the PID of your utorrent.exe would definitely identify any error messages specific to the operation. If you have a candidate for reproduction, starting with a sample torrent and settings on that torrent would help, i.e. it's 10 files, i skipped the first and last 2, and i downloaded it and then watched it, and wanted to delete it from within uT.

Archived