Why?

dlf

Why the heck am I getting this:

why6oy.th.png

I get this whenever I open and run Utorrent. Why? Do NOT say becuase norton sucks, since I first used this computer and had norton on this; I have almost never gotten a virus. I am sure I do not have one right now, including worms, trojions, etcs. I am sure none are not on this system.

Because Norton sucks.

You have to permit µTorrent to access the internet... because you're file sharing on the internet. :rolleyes:

also, from the FAQ:

The only exception is on start-up, where µTorrent loads a page on uTorrent.com to check for the latest version. This functionality can be disabled in the Options, on the General Options section: "Check for updates automatically."

It also connects to router.bittorrent.com if you have DHT enabled, this is REQUIRED for the functionality of DHT.

ps: it's spelled trojans; etc is singular

Because Norton sucks. :P

No, I think they've updated their definitions which determined that µTorrent is exhibiting "worm-like behaviour"... obviously this is not the case, therefore this is nothing more than a false positive. Some programs aren't really intelligent and flag everything which requests a lot of connections (such as BitTorrent programs) as "trojan/worm/virus"... :/

Edit: hehe, Firon, you're always 1-5 minutes ahead of me... :(

do u have Norton antivirus and Norton firewall installed as seperate appz? (yea, I know it sounds crazy, but its Norton.....) I used to have this problem a few years ago when I had them seperate. If u have Internet Security or Personal Firewall, Its best to have Antivirus intergrated. U can tell its not intergrated by looking at the tray area. If u see an icon for Antivirus and a icon for Internet Security/Firewall, its not integrated. If u see 1 icon and can access antivirus options from that one icon, its integrated.

Also, look for the option "alert when unused ports are accessed" and uncheck it. Im not sure where it is if u just got antivirus installed.

If u just got Antivirus installed, I dont know what to tell u. Cuz the mini firewall they put in some versions of Antivirus (I guess for ppl who didnt want the full firewall...?) suz arse crack.

do u have Norton antivirus and Norton firewall installed as seperate appz? (yea, I know it sounds crazy, but its Norton.....) I used to have this problem a few years ago when I had them seperate. If u have Internet Security or Personal Firewall, Its best to have Antivirus intergrated. U can tell its not intergrated by looking at the tray area. If u see an icon for Antivirus and a icon for Internet Security/Firewall, its not integrated. If u see 1 icon and can access antivirus options from that one icon, its integrated.

Also, look for the option "alert when unused ports are accessed" and uncheck it. Im not sure where it is if u just got antivirus installed.

If u just got Antivirus installed, I dont know what to tell u. Cuz the mini firewall they put in some versions of Antivirus (I guess for ppl who didnt want the full firewall...?) suz arse crack.

Nope Norton System works 2005. Had it for a couple of months.

That sucks cuz its the mini firewall inside antivirus thats causing the problem.

But i did some searching on the net. Try this:

You can stop it by configuring the Internet Worm protection in Norton Antivirus:

Open the System Status Window

Click the Options button

-Select "Internet Worm Protection"

-Click Program Control

-Click Add

-Choose uTorrent executable

-Set it to Permit All.

if uT is already in program control, remove it and manually add it as explained above.

see if this works

Im not too familar using just Antivirus internet worm protection. Im more used to configuring the full firewall in Internet Security and Personal Firewall.

100kb application called utorrent making alot of things and beside it is a worm,do you believe this?

you mean we are talking about not a torrent program about a worm?

all of these things are for a worm

why?

because big norton said that.:))))

it is totally b...shit

why dont you use nod32?perfect antivirus tool

why do you think norton is the best,

have you ever tried others?

may be utorrent is going to cause to choose perfect antivirus for you.

That sucks cuz its the mini firewall inside antivirus thats causing the problem.

But i did some searching on the net. Try this:

You can stop it by configuring the Internet Worm protection in Norton Antivirus:

Open the System Status Window

Click the Options button

-Select "Internet Worm Protection"

-Click Program Control

-Click Add

-Choose uTorrent executable

-Set it to Permit All.

if uT is already in program control, remove it and manually add it as explained above.

see if this works

Im not too familar using just Antivirus internet worm protection. Im more used to configuring the full firewall in Internet Security and Personal Firewall.

I've had this same problem for a while now so I would just turn the worm protection feature off every time I ran µtorrent. It only started happening with 1.2.1

It got bad to the point where it wouldn't let you permit it at all. I would press permit, then like 10 seconds later I would get the same annoying warning.

I just now took these steps...removing since it was already set in the program controls, and re-adding and now everything is working perfect with the exception that I'm still using Norton :\

Thanks for the help!!!!

webdr:

I agree 100%. I personally havent gotten around to trying anything else. I been using Norton for so long, im just set in my ways. Eventually I will commit to testing many different firewalls, antivirus appz, defrag appz, etc. to see whats the best available.

• 3 weeks later...

@Firon:

I read that vs. diskeeper it does a better, more complete job. Its slower, but gets u more free space. And defrags all space, where diskeeper defrags mostly free space (I guess thats why its faster)

Well thats one program switched, about 20 to go.......lol

Hm... I'd like to see a comparison with Diskeeper 10 (just released). Apparently, there were major improvements in the defragmenting algorithm and performance and whatever. I remember reading the report from Roxaco comparing PerfectDisk with O&O Defrag and Diskeeper, but that was for the old version.[/offtopic] =P

ok because norton sucks... (It couldn't even detect a virus AVG FREE could detect)

yeah I think it's a firewall problem... P2P apps have all kinds of firewall issues

Executive.Diskeeper.Professional.Premier.Edition.v10.0.593

Release Date: 2005-12-01

Release Type: Retail

Protection: None

Company: Diskeeper Corporation

Platform: WinALL

Software Type: Disk defrag Utility

URL: http://www.execsoft.co.uk/

yeah V10 is new... still using V9 lol....

• 1 month later...

:mad: PLEASE STOP CURSING NORTON!!

I have been using Norton since my 1st day of PC and it had always kept me virus free (even when I am connected to a WAN, have a static IP, run IIS and also Wirelessly connected)! :|

The problem is simple. Once you unblock uTorrent in NAV the first time you start it registers its App version and App hash. These values change when you upgrade and that's coz uTorrent upgrades just replaces one exe! However, NAV does not change the hash coz, its possible that a virus or something else may change a trusted executable and connect to the net. :o

Simple solution for NAV 2005 up:

1) Close all instances of uTorrent.

2) Just go to Options -> Internet Worm Protection -> Program Control.

3) Select "utorrent" from the list.

(if not in list , then the problem is something else, try permitting it once and then start from step 1)

4) Click on remove. Confirm "yes" in the new dialog.

5) Restart uTorrent and next time when the NAV Protection dialog box pops up, just "Permit" it!

This simple steps should solve all standard problems. ;)

And hey, if you think the problem got solved, check out my photo-literary blog http://www.shamasis.net/blog/!

shamasis, and how do you know NAV kept you clean if you never used anything else? What one does not know about, cant still harm one ;]

Vicente: Dont hijack someone else's thread. Thats rude. AVI is a movie file indeed. VirtualDub needs a directshow filter\codec in order to open movie files. Make sure you have the right codec installed (for example, while ffdshow plays DIVX\XVID, you cant open files in vdub with it, only with the actual xvid\divx packages).

@chaosblade: had my mech been infected, i would have known at least if ur mech wud hav been infected u wud have known, and most power users do know. and to top it all it had cleaned almost all externel dat wid viruses, of which some were not cleaned by others. And regarding other AV software, there had been lotsa hypes about many AV sw in the past 8 to 10 years and most of them remained the "king" for a couple of years at the most and soon faded away or some other AV sw was 'promoted' to be the best. However, NAV always remained somewhere high and will continue to exist for a long time! :)

*sigh* it's because of combination of marketing, been around for a while, many knows it,

many are conservertive and many doesn't know better so they keep the NAV that comes with

the PC.

Symantec is like microsoft, been around for a long time, loads of resources and marketing schemes,

but both are crap down to the core. But is still used because of reasons like I mentioned above.

Archived