multible utorrent clients on 3 computers

FaithlessDeviant

I just installed utorrent, so pretty new with this.

I was using getright to download torrent files with before and I'm missing a feature here.

With Getright you can set it up to act like a server if you have several computers with getright installed, so if any of the other clients gets a download it will send the download to the one acting as server. The server will then download the file.

I would hope I can do this with utorrent to.

Install utorrent on them all and set one up to be server and the other utorrents to be clients that send the downloads to the utorrent acting as server.

I don't know if something similar is in utorrent, atleast couldn't find anything. So please point me in the right direction if there is :)

Hope I could explain it in a way that made sense :D

...? Download the contents to one computer, then recopy it to the server is what you're looking for? If so, you can sorta do that already with Local Peer Discovery. You just need to load the .torrent file on both instances (the client, and the "sever"), disable PEX and DHT on the server, remove the trackers for the torrent job from the server instance, and µTorrent should take care of the rest.

The problem is that you can't really do the tracker editing yet on webui with the current version of µTorrent -- tracker editing is sorta b0rked/unimplemented in µTorrent 1.7.x (though it's been implemented for 1.8).

If you only want to transfer the .torrent file from the client instance to the server instance, and let the server do the actual downloading, then just load the torrent from webui...

not quite.

the designatet client just captures the .torrent files and then send all the information to the program designatet as server so it handles all the download without anymore action from the utorrent that act likes client.

So the client doesn't do any actual downloading it will just relay the data that the picks up to the program setup as the server so that the server takes over the download completely. I'm not looking to run multible computers to download, I want just one PC to that part.

I have 3 computers running. A laptop I use for most of the browsing, email and stuff like that (so most likely the .torrent file will be catch by the utorrent on this). A desktop computer for gaming and other heavier apps. Another small computer that I would like to do the actual downloading without me going to make it do it manually everytime.

See if I catch a download with Getright on any of the computers. The getright on the small computer does all the work of downloading. Freeing up the other computers for other things.

Perhaps you can accomplish this with a shared directory on the server machine, set that dir in µTorrent (on the server) options as the auto-load dir, and save torrents to the shared directory from your machine. You don't even need to have µTorrent installed on the clients this way.

All this assuming you are on a local network of course.

Exactly. There are alternatives for whatever you want to do already; I'm not sure why anything else would/should need to be implemented in µTorrent.

If you only want to transfer the .torrent file from the client instance to the server instance, and let the server do the actual downloading, then just load the torrent from webui...

This isn't really all that much more manual than loading some torrent in µTorrent and making it send the .torrent file over to the other computer too. But Saribro's idea is even simpler.

http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=14833

This utility would do just fine as well; it makes use of webui.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived