How To: Run uTorrent on Linux.

NoOneButMe

How To: Run uTorrent on Linux.

Note: In Linux, run any command in a bash shell. (duh)

Part 1. Installing Wine

Dependancies that should preferably be up to date:

[ul]

[li]FreeType 2.[/li]

[li]FontForge.[/li]

[li]X11.[/li][/ul]

Install Wine. 1.1.9 is the latest version as of this update. Either use your package manager or you can compile from source if thats your fancy.

Once Wine is installed, uTorrent will run, but there's some more tweaks to do - Fix fonts and the black box at the very least.

Part 2. Fixing the black box issue

Method A.

Run uTorrent 1.8 or later with sys.enable_wine_hacks enabled (in advanced options).

Method B.

A. With wine, run "winecfg" in the terminal. With Darwine, go to /Applications/Darwine/Sample WineLib Applications and run winecfg.exe. 
B. Under the "Applications" tab - the default one - hit "Add application..." And select utorrent.exe from wherever you saved it to on your drive.
C. Change "Windows Version:" to "Windows XP" and hit "ok"

The black box issue should now be fixed. If it isn't, restart X11 and Wine and then try again. Also might be a good idea to check and make sure the change in settings went through.

Part 3. Fixing Fonts

Method A:

Run uTorrent 1.8 or later.

Method B: Entering the commands manually.

A. Download the fonts. "curl -LO https://www.redhat.com/f/fonts/liberation-fonts-ttf-3.tar.gz"
B. Extract it the file. "tar -zxvf ~/Desktop/liberation-fonts-ttf-3.tar.gz"
C. Move the fonts to the Wine font dir - "mv ~/Desktop/liberation-fonts-0.2/* ~/.wine/drive_c/windows/fonts"
D. Download the convert_fonts script. "curl -LO http://www.mail-archive.com/wine-devel@winehq.org/msg36618/convert_fonts""
E. Make the script executable. "chmod a+x convert_fonts"
F. Run the script. "sh convert_fonts"

Part 4. Miscellaneous Tips:

WebUI Installation:

A. To install the WebUI, put webui.zip file in "~/.wine/drive_c/windows/profiles/$USER/Application\ Data/uTorrent"

Symlink Wine's fake C drive to the desktop:

B. Create a symlink to drive_c on your desktop with "ln -s ~/.wine/drive_c ~/Desktop/C"

Part 5. Known Annoyances

[ul]

[li]uTorrent starts but goes completely blank. Delete Settings.dat and Settings.dat.old in ~/.wine/drive_c/windows/profiles/<username>/Application\ Data/uTorrent[/li]

[li]A window pops up with the "uTorrent is already running.." even though you quit uTorrent. Kill all the wine processes. "(cd /Applications/Darwine/Wine.bundle/Contents/bin/ first on OS X) wineserver -k" to kill all the wine processes running.[/li]

[li]Deleting files to the trash does not work. Wine follows the FreeDesktop.org Trash Spec and as such moves files to ~/.local/share/Trash/ instead of ~/.Trashes which *nix variants use. If you delete files to the trash, you will have to symlink ~/.local/share/Trash to ~/.Trashes or manually delete these files. [/li]

[li]Minimizing causes the window to stop updating. Downloading and uploading still works, but the UI window doesn't update. To fix this, uncheck the "Close to tray" under UI Settings in the Preferences panel.[/li]

[/ul]

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

I'm confused about running the .exe using MAC OSX. Does the Darwine allow you to run .exe files? Also with regards to the WebUI, you said to place the .zip folder in "~/.wine/drive_c/windows/profiles/<username>/Application\ Data/uTorrent"

Where will this folder be in MacOSX? Thanks.

Find folder in Finder by using "Go to folder..." (Cmd+Shift+G) from the Go menu. type "~/.wine"

My question: I have a G4 PPC MacMini, 10.4.11, X11, Darwine, Freetype. I've installed Darwine and can run all the sample apps, but uTorrent quits during startup with Darwine reporting that it failed and to check the message log, but it's empty.

I've read elsewhere that Win32.exe's won't run under Darwine on PPC chips, and would like a definitive yes or no, if possible on whether it's worth persevering with it on my current machine.

Any ideas?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi,

I followed all of your instructions and they worked fine until I got to the script to link Wine's fake C drive with the rest of my hard drive. The script won't let me execute it. It says that I don't have appropriate access privileges, but when I click on get info it says that I can read and write. I am the only account on my computer and I am the administrator. How can I execute the script? Currently I can't open any files with utorrent because I can't find utorrent on my hard drive. How can I run the script? Thanks for any suggestions. I'm completely new to Macs, so I'm not very familiar with the OS yet.

Also, when I looked at the permissions for the miscuTcommand file, a user named "staff" has suddenly appeared. I don't have any access for anyone but myself on my computer, so I am not sure what this is...I have tried enabling read and write for myself, for "everyone," and for "staff," but I still can't run the command with Terminal.

Okay, I followed the manual instructions and put WebUI.zip in the Utorrent folder and added the C link to my desktop. Now I can open torrent files. However, I can't upload at all. I know my ports are open because I doublechecked the IP and port forwarding and whatnot. Also, Wine keeps giving me all of these error messages, and I don't know what they mean:

WARNING: Trying to create a socket of type SOCK_RAW, this will fail unless you have special permissions.

err:ole:CoGetClassObject class {ae1e00aa-3fd5-403c-8a27-2bbdc30cd0e1} not registered

err:ole:CoGetClassObject class {ae1e00aa-3fd5-403c-8a27-2bbdc30cd0e1} not registered

err:ole:create_server class {ae1e00aa-3fd5-403c-8a27-2bbdc30cd0e1} not registered

fixme:ole:CoGetClassObject CLSCTX_REMOTE_SERVER not supported

err:ole:CoGetClassObject no class object {ae1e00aa-3fd5-403c-8a27-2bbdc30cd0e1} could be created for context 0x17

err:ole:create_server class {ae1e00aa-3fd5-403c-8a27-2bbdc30cd0e1} not registered

fixme:ole:CoGetClassObject CLSCTX_REMOTE_SERVER not supported

err:ole:CoGetClassObject no class object {ae1e00aa-3fd5-403c-8a27-2bbdc30cd0e1} could be created for context 0x17

fixme:ntdll:server_ioctl_file Unsupported ioctl 900c4 (device=9 access=0 func=31 method=0)

Is there any way to fix this so that I can upload?

In the terminal: "chmod a+x $HOME/Desktop/miscuT.command"

err and fixme messages can be ignored. Most of them basically means uTorrent is trying to do something that Wine doesn't fully support yet. Its not going to harm anything though.

Are you sure there's even people to download from you? See every other section of the forums for tutorials/guides on seeding.

"Minimizing causes the window to stop updating. Downloading and uploading still works, but the UI window doesn't update. Basically: don't minimize."

This problem seems to be solved by unchecking "minimize to tray" in the options, minimizing works just fine after that.

Archived