is anti-snubbing implemented in µtorrent?

hofshi

From http://wiki.theory.org/BitTorrentSpecification

Anti-snubbing (extension not in the official protocol)

Occasionally a BitTorrent peer will be choked by all peers which it was formerly downloading from. In such cases it will usually continue to get poor download rates until the optimistic unchoke finds better peers. To mitigate this problem, when over a minute goes by without getting a single piece from a particular peer, BitTorrent assumes it is "snubbed" by that peer and doesn't upload to it except as an optimistic unchoke. This frequently results in more than one concurrent optimistic unchoke, (an exception to the exactly one optimistic unchoke rule mentioned above), which causes download rates to recover much more quickly when they falter.

EDIT by silverfire: DO NOT BUMP THREADS. This is your only warning, and the bump has been deleted. If it happens again in this or any other thread, the entire thread will be deleted.

To mitigate this problem, when over a minute goes by without getting a single piece from a particular peer, BitTorrent assumes it is "snubbed" by that peer and doesn't upload to it except as an optimistic unchoke.

By assuming that it is snubbed doesn't that client effectively snub the other peer? :|

I read about this the other day and didn't really see the appeal for me. Maybe it could be a useful feature that could be toggled on or off?

edit: ran a search and from what I can see, the only client with it at the moment is RubyTorrent.. I'm probably wrong though..

• 3 years later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived