Superseeding broke in 1.2.2?

renzz

I've successfully used Superseeding in previous versions, and for me it seems to work reasonably well, with good speeds once there are a lot of peers.

However, I have just superseeded my first torrent with 1.2.2 and all goes well, until the peers get to 99.9% complete. They then sit there, and I send nothing to them, but continue to send to others who are not at 99.9. Left unchecked, other peers get to 99.9% and also stick there. The only way out is to turn off Superseeding for the torrent, at which point the peers reconnect and all complete.

Is superseeding broke in 1.2.2?

Neither of those answers apply to me, and I have just superseeded another file, and got exactly the same thing. Peers get to 99.9% and I then send nothing to them, but continue to send full speed to other peers that are not as complete. If I leave it, no one else completes until I manually drop outof superseeding mode.

You know, when I used super-seeding I noticed it too, but the 99.9% peers eventually reached 100 (µT continued uploading to other peers in the meantime).

I rather liked it, seems like it forces them to stay in the swarm for a good while before they can actually leave with the full file. :lol: Regardless of that, availability was pretty high, so super-seeding was working very well.

No offence, but that's a pretty lame explanation. Who the hell would want to be part of a swarm where you download everything at normal speed, until you get to the last chunk where you may have to wait hours to get it, if you get it at all. The whole point of Superseeding is to quickly distribute the file to as many others as possible - the lastest version of µT doesn't do this - it's broke, pure and simple.

Its broken! yeah!

I am experiencing the same stuff. seeding up to 99,9%, then nothing happens. switching off superseed for the torrent, makes µtorrent send out the missing chunks.

anyways, that's not all! superseeding is extremly slow. i have a torrent here which I am seeding, it has +10 peers and I have 50kb/s upload bandwidth avaiable.

when I set the torrent to superseeding, µtorrent seems to be really slow, upload rates are between 10 and 40 kb/s, and it doesn't happen often that it reaches 40.

when I turn superseeding off, suddenly the speed reaches the maximum capacity of 50 kb/s.

it seems so, that µtorrent is "thinking" way too long, which chunk it wants to send to which peer. in humanized forms ;)

you can see this by monitoring the peers tab. with superseeding enabled, peers stay there without upload to them, regardless of the settings like max upload kb/s and max upload slots.

like, if I have 10 slots open, with superseeding enabled there are ony ... like 4 in use and the other peers are just idle.

without superseeding, it goes well.

that sucks extremley. and it's definitley a bug. when seeding the same file with, say .. bittornado, it's like a flash.

and btw, this occured on more than one tracker and with more than one torrent!

greetz

Raise your upload slots. :P

I used 6 slots and got max speed.

You're a funny guy.

I opened 10+ Slots and had the results described above.

it's not user error dude, I proved this to me by a) using a different client on the same torrent and B) by disabling superseeding. did you actually read the last post?

neway, I'll try v1.3 superseeding-behavior asap

I think I'd rather just have normal seeding so I can help the most people at one time.

yeah, I agree, I never use super-seeding, if you get hit-and-runners you pretty much spoil the whole situation anyway :(

besides if you use regular seeding on a ratio site it will increase your ratio more :P

Well, this Problem is reproducable on my torrents. I stuck at 99.9% (renzz, tehd00d, satormus) and when I disable Super-Seeding all torrents get 100%.

I am uploading with 70kb/s and the swarm gets very fast between 500-700 leechers. I am mostly seeding stuff with 700mb or 1,4gb size.

Best regards,

signature.png

I can't say that the superseeding function is broken.

For me and my last upload with µtorrent 1.3 in superseeding mode works fine.

Done an torrent over 8gb with 80/kbs the whole upload and the torrent got 35 peers upload slots set to 5 here.

The up was done 100% by 8,1gb without any 99,9% stuck or something like that.

So I couldn't reproduced the error 99,9% with superseeding.

I did a 700MB upload yesterday on 1.3.1 Build 380 in Superseeding mode. Peers started to reach 99.9% complete, and µtorrent then ignored them and continued to send at full speed to other peers. I left it a further 30 mins, and all the peers at 99.9% were still there, with others reaching that figure also. Toggled Superseeding off - and all those peers completed within a couple of mins.

It's definitely broke, and has been since 1.2.2, as confirmed by others in this thread. I wonder if it's maybe something to do with the tracker being used? I upload to one site only, so am always using the same tracker, so I'm not able to test it on another site yet.

This issue keeps cropping up. I am using Ver 1.3 WinXP and have personally monitored several large and small torrents but I have never been able to reproduce this.

I find Super Seeding works very well for me, even though I have spare upload slots and line capacity, peers really do not get any more data until their previous batch is seen circulating in the swarm. It helps with the leacher problem and can cut down by 50% or more, the amount of uploading needed to get the first peer completed and seeding. At this point Super Seeding should automatically switch off; this is a weakness with uTorrent and its Super Seeding strategy.

• 3 weeks later...
Does this still happen?

I haven't tried it again since 1.3.1 Build 380. I figured that as it wasn't specifically mentioned as being fixed in the release notes for 1.4, then the problem would still be there, so I'm using a different client for Superseeding for the time being.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived