Initial-seeding position marker resets upon close/open.

Honeyfrog

In 1.7.5, the piece-to-be-sent marker for initial-seeding is resetting when uTorrent is closed. This means that, upon re-launching an incomplete torrent, I'll be re-sending pieces that hidden peers in the swarm already have -- and that could be gigs' worth.

Please fix this post-haste. In fact, I'll take a 1.7.6 patch right now!

What's that got to do with the bug?

You could have a bug that eliminates the functionality of initial-seeding entirely, and make the exact same retort.

--//--

(Ten days later...)

...Err, was this going to be fixed next version, or is it a permanent "new feature" now? :/ Just looking for confirmation.

(Anecdote: A friend and I were dual initial-seeding a multi-gig torrent from scratch, with him doing the first half and me the last half. We arranged this by having him first appear, to me, as a peer with half the torrent, which caused my client's position marker to adjust forward to send mid-torrent pieces out to other peers. He then stopped, added the rest of the files, rechecked, and began initial-seeding from piece #0. Since he was a full seed, he stayed hidden from my client while I continued seeding from #5000+. I needed to restart my machine a bit later, while he had also had his client or computer temporarily turned off, and my client re-set to piece #0, causing me to waste a almost a day retreading a lot of the same turf before I noticed the problem. -- I don't know which version this reset bug manifest, but I know that older version didn't have it. Anecdote #2: Similar situation wherein I kick-start a torrent by regular-seeding at maximum UL to a "known friendly" peer who's marked the first file in the torrent high-priority; later, I restart my machine while he is absent, but before he's had time to fully retrade his accumulation to later-arriving peers...and end up retreading again.)

• 1 month later...
In 1.7.5, the piece-to-be-sent marker for initial-seeding is resetting when uTorrent is closed. This means that, upon re-launching an incomplete torrent, I'll be re-sending pieces that hidden peers in the swarm already have -- and that could be gigs' worth.

Please fix this post-haste. In fact, I'll take a 1.7.6 patch right now!

Implemented. I'll send you a test build to confirm :)

Archived