AntiVirus Of Choice?

mattman2340

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I suggest the following solutions:

Eset Nod 32 (www.nod32.com), very small footprint, and good antivirus.

A free solution Antivir PersonalEdition Classic (www.free-av.com) small footprint good antivirus and free.

Also you can try the Antivir PersonalEdition Premium (www.antivir.pe.de/en/) small footprint again and more features than the free edition but not free.

See the websites for more info.

Stay away from the resource hogs, Norton and McAffe.

DomZ: How sure are you that you dont have a virus on your computer? Not all viruses make themselves known to the user by being massively destructive to your PC. Yes common sense is a wonderful thing, but so is a good AV program.

Btw my antivirus of choice is Trend Micro PC-Cillin. Unfortunately im at uni, and havent been on my home PC for a while so cant remember what it's footprint is like.

I also do not have any troubles of needing an AV to clean out the system. Like, DomZ, we're careful as to what we run and what we download. We're not click-happy and we're cautious of any incoming emails. We don't use Outlook Express nor do we visit suspicious sites. We both protect our systems well enough to not worry much over having to install any AV softwares (yet). Keeping ourselves current with latest virus findings and attacks enables us to stay informed as to what not to do in the event something comes to us. If you want a sound peace of mind, then go right ahead and install the AV software of your choosing. But like myself and DomZ, we tend to be careful when viewing a variety of sites and have ample security both in our usage and in our network to provide enough protection for us. :)

Its not abt safe practises or not. If there is something out there, that can protect u if something happens, why shy away from it ? Coz u think u are tuff and dont need it?

A person who has precautions is not the weaker person but a smarter one.

And its not even abt memory usage and all. Nowadays there are so many AVs with low mem usage. Its just a "cool" thing not to have it for some people.

Just coz pple have AVs, that doesnt mean they dont practise safe networking.

Why have a firewall then? Just unplug ur internet connection. There , u are super safe !

(Ignore all this if u are a Linux user)

good common sense, keeping your system updated with latest patches and using software that doesnt contain lots of exploits, ive not had a virus in along time just because ive kept my system updated and been using opera browser which is renowned for its security.

if you have to get an AV steer well clear of norton and mcrapee cause theyre both worthless resource hogs.

Nothing. Common sense works quite well.

It's quite easy to detect a virus when you monitor your PC very closely and know what you're doing. It's also quite easy to avoid getting one by being smart with what you run, and by keeping your system patched. In my case, most of the things that can CAUSE vulnerabilities in the first place aren't even present on my XP install ;) (nLite ftw!)

there is no Kaspersky Anti-Virus Personal Pro 5.0.388,it must be .390

Actually, I do have Kaspersky Anti-Virus Personal Pro 5.0.388, and according to their official website, it IS the latest version: http://www.kaspersky.com/productupdates?chapter=146244102

On another note, thanks for all of your input.. I'm considering looking into NOD32, although Kaspersky's track record is nevertheless appealing.

-matt

mattman2340

90 days ago,kaspersky's program structure was bypassed by a CAB file,after this they release a patch which upgrade program to .390,after days they have put this patch into their update database,if you install .0388 then you update you ll see your version is not .388,it is .390

also nod32 ram useage is lower than kaspersky but kaspersky is good enough about ram useage,for me it uses between 12-25 megs.

İ think you shoudl keep kaspersky,but i fyou really want to try another one,there is one option just one ..nod32...

when you use nod 32 you should arange the setups for imon,amon,dmon...

the most important setup is under imon HTTP you should choose high efficiencs for all apps that listed in HTTP client compatibility window...

Archived