uploading issues

KOBKED

I have started two torrents with uTorrent [posted on TPB] and no matter what settings I use there always seems to be an upload speed issue..its not my router [settings are correct I think utorrent port is open- speed check confirms this] and all I can think of is that an initial seeding uses a dif port??? if so what port? any ideas?

my DLs work fine..

checked firewall [soft] and my router.

checked to make sure the tracker was working..

heres wha thappens..

A new connection joins my torrent and get normal up speeds for a short time [like ten min] then it shrinks down to 0.5 ish and then stops..

Have looked all over this site for helpfull tidbits..but can't find any..

hmm? So are you the initial seeder? If you are set to initial seed mode you will only send ONE PIECE to EACH PEER until they send another. If they are not sharing it's not your fault in that mode. If you instead want to upload to peers no matter if they share or not you can right click on the torrent go to properties and turn off initial seeding. Note that your efficiency (the ratio of swarm availability to YOUR UPLOAD RATIO) will go down, probably drastically given these peers' behaviour. I have regularly had to upload to 2.5 before a new seed is made due to greedy peers. Initial seeding is a way to get around that. If peers do not share they don't get more (which when you're the only seed, is a reason for them to start sharing) a fact readily seen if you upload to a site/tracker which allows comments. When others comment "hey, what's up with this swarm" you can reply "I'm on initial seeding mode and you guys should share more"... There is a caveat to this, if you only connect to one peer or if all of the peers you connect to are firewalled there is little hope for them to connect to eachother since 2 firewalled peers will not connect.

As ajones81 mentioned, some internet providers try to prevent torrents by limiting your upload speed in a hateful method called torrent throttling. I have had the same problem with my provider, Eastlink. Nothing was able to resolve the problem. When I first started using utorrent, I was constantly ably to maintain an upload speed of the full 45 kb/sec speed I had set. I found that Eastlink coincidentally or somehow intentionally implemented torrent throttling right after a utorrent update. I thought it was the update of utorrent at first because the timing was perfect, but I went back to the old version with the same problem.

One thing I can suggest is that you try going under preferences and selecting the box to randomly generate the port (the option appears under the connections heading in preferences). That will sometimes help. Also, some sites have different agreements with your provider, so one site might limit your downloading and uploading speed terribly, while another has much higher speeds. Finally, you may find that there are certain times of day when your provider relaxes these restrictions and you automatically get higher upload speeds.

It is interesting that the IP providers such as Eastlink advertise 15 Mb/sec download speeds, but neglect to mention that they limit your upload speed on certain sites, isn't it?

Thank you all!

I did think of my ISP being evil in thier bandwidth useage ... Ithink the reply a bit up from yours is the reason..I am initial seeding..soo..ya I bet greedy leechers :P..bastages! lol..well thier loss ya know!

anyway..I seem to have the prob sorta solved .. I re booted my modem [oops forgot that one] and re did my network drivers ..back to a slightly older version..it is an Nvidia motherboard..[ had to to get SLI ..sigh]..

but ya.. it seems to be working now!..

Archived