windows xp help

j1

Whenever I click on a folder or my hard drive it leads me to start a search in my folder/hard drive with this method I can still get what I'm looking for but its slower and inconvenient. This all started when I fiddled in folder options in the control panel does anyone know how I can correct this problem?

compu:tard:

No. I have the exact same problem. I've also fiddled with the folder options...big mistake. :( I did everything I could for the next 6 months, followed every piece of advice...nothing, and I do mean NOTHING, will bring back the regular Windows Explorer. The only thing left to do is:

1.) Back-up your stuff

2.) Format C:\

3.) Reinstall your O.S.

I've never seen such behavior either... I play around with Folder Options a lot (and I mean a lot), and I don't recall any option that would cause what you're experiencing... O.o

*takes look at Folder Options*

Edit: Also, if anything, you can always click the Restore Defaults buttons for the General and View tabs. If that doesn't work, then the source of your problems probably doesn't lie with the Folder Options.

Ahhh...good for you, you still had a restoration point. :) Sadly I didn't have it on by the time it happened... :(

ScubaSteve: that's exactly how it's reproduced, once you change one of those damned icons...all hell breaks loose. :mad: I don't even care anymore (I just live with), soon this PC will have Linux on it and all will be fine anyway. :cool:

I don't bother with Resore Points. They worked like 1 out of every 10 attempts I made at restoring, so I decided it wasn't worth the GB of space it wasted.

i just "dissable" system restore then "enable" it to clear the space it uses.. havent had to use it in a long time, but i do remember my sister using the computer and then XP went into 4 bit color mode? saved me from that..

I don't bother with Resore Points. They worked like 1 out of every 10 attempts I made at restoring, so I decided it wasn't worth the GB of space it wasted.

yeah, they take up too much space :)

its a very easy thing to fix it only takes a couple of clicks or a simple reg file.

so maybe you will want to give us a link to the reg file or the clicks that are required? :)

Yeah what was the "it" that he was talking about in the first place? xD

Personally, I don't install software I'm unsure of (the applications on my computer are mostly static, and don't change much), which kinda helps in that I don't get a lot of problems with my computer.

@Firon: lol I'll keep that in mind if I ever decide to nLite another disc =P

Question, though... does Windows still create a dllcache folder in the system32 folder if I remove WFP totally using nLite? (lol sorry for going off topic here)

@forcedtoregister: That definitely looks like the symptom that j1 described. Nice name by the way ;P

seems forcedtoregister knows about this problem too, not entirely sure why trying to change the icon in there would cause this problem too but hey thats MS.

@Ultima no it shouldnt create one if you have disabled WFP before hand using nLite.

nLite is a great program that i follow closely over on the msfn forums. There is a good guide here for ppl that would like to further understand about what kind of files are removed when using nLite. it is also a good guide if your new to stripping Xp and would like to do it manually (also pretty helpful for those of us that like to make PE discs)

Oh... my... freaking... god... THAT IS A LONNNNGGGG THREAD!! Jeez, he's one very dedicated member xD

Thanks for the info, ScubaSteve. I agree, nLite is a great program. I follow the unattended XP installation movement, just not very closely (every now and then, I check up on nLite and RyanVM's update pack and a few other things, but that's it).

oh yes, i'm familiar with the bartpe...

once you get it working it's a godsend, but takes a LOT of work..

as for nLite, i don't bother using it, the default installation is fine for me (i have a dell inspiron with a winxp cd from the days when they didn't preinstall spyware for you ;))

Archived