what does this message mean?

robbiethief

I wouldn't call it malicious. It's documented on their site, and OTHER clients can skip the files. It's rude to create the extra hurdle to get your stuff... sure, and the amount of "extra" data downloaded ranges between 1 and n-1 bytes PER FILE (horrid when n is a large piecesize like 4 MiB)... can add up, but even I wouldn't go so far to call it malicious.

The feature is covered @ http://blog.bitcomet.com/bitcomet/post_1066/ and is called "align file to piece boundary". It may be stupidly conceived and ill-advised as mentioned @ http://torrentfreak.com/bitcomet-pollutes-bittorrent-with-junk-data/ but I must persist in you labelling it malicious. It does not say "upgrade", it says "update". This may be semantics, but it is not a purposeful choice to degrade the quality of download of others. Sure the fact they simply ignore the tag identifying the data so the client doesn't download up to ~10% extra data... and other clients must manually deselect them... and I'd imagine that means only bitcomet peers with/without the pad files show as seeds... and the fact it's default-ON doesn't help the case... but it is not malicious.

We know what it's for. What it's used for doesn't make it correct to automatically (by default) advertise a particular client in a file readable by all torrent clients.

I don't want to say anything bad about other clients in particular, but BitComet has (in my eyes) repeatedly shown that it doesn't care about the BitTorrent community outside of its own little world. Why should it force other clients to deal with their own feature? They could've implemented in a way that didn't get in other clients' ways. They could've created a new hash dictionary/list that indicates the boundary pieces' hashes when padded to the desired size -- something that only their client would have to deal with. Why clog the files list and pieces key with junk data that other clients won't interpret correctly?

Perhaps malicious is indeed a misnomer, but if this is how they design features (without giving any afterthought to how it would affect others using BitTorrent), then I'd say they deserve at least some of the flak that they're getting.

Archived