Why is /gui/ required on WebUI?

hermanm

• 4 weeks later...

The BitTorrent protocol is also based on HTTP, so you can't single it out based on protocol alone.

Actually a lot of protocols are based on HTTP (additions to the HTTP protocol, with it's own headers) like Shoutcast, MMS (Microsoft's streaming protocol which has a HTTP fallback mode), and so on. This is to make it easy to implement, and also provide for easy proxying of the connections.

Indeed its all HTTP. In fact the /gui/ is part of the request-line defined in the HTTP protocol. It makes it easy to filter out webui requests from BitTorrent ones. It would be possible to differentiate between them based on other parts of the request but that would be a hairier and bug-prone solution hence my guesswork at keeping it 'separate' to prevent conflicts.

Especially since it isn't gonna make sense to another peer when it receives "authorization failed" errors while trying to connect to a µtorrent peer (this will happen if it was all merged into the root and µtorrent would mistake an incoming connection for a webui one).

• 3 months later...

Firon, I understand that you still have to include /gui/ when connecting on an alternate port. The /gui/ is hard-written into the webui. But if I'm understanding Lord Alderaan's technical reasons on post 9, then listening on another port would remove these reasons. Technically not needed, but still there.

Or maybe I'm just not grasping something.

Archived