utorrent 1.77 Deleted torrents keep coming back

cossak2007

...? I've never seen or heard of this problem before, and I don't see any reason it should/could behave in that way.

Start > Run > %appdata%\uTorrent

Exit µTorrent and backup everything there. Now, delete it all and run µTorrent (you'll have to reconfigure everything). Try adding a torrent, then removing it -- does it come back?

Yes it does come back now when I shut down utorrent and restart it again. I had 3 torrents downloading and deleted torrent and data. All diappeared until I restarted utorrent again. All came back again.

Never touched any rss settings.

Only changed port number and directory settingsas follows:

PUT NEW DOWNLOADS IN torrentsnew

MOVE COMPLETED DOWLOADS IN torrentscompleted

STORE TORRENT FILES IN torrentsinprogress

MOVE TORRENT FOR FINISHED JOBS TO torrentscompleted

You don't mention if you indeed have write permissions...I don't know anything about Administrator-level in Vista but as i understand it if you're not logged in as Admin user you're not an admin. Be sure the permissions for the folder and files are correct.

If they are afayk you'll have to do some more in-depth troubleshooting. I know sysinternals has a tool called filemon ... On his blog http://blogs.technet.com/markrussinovich/ Mark regularly shows how he uses it to figure out what's going wrong under the hood.

it disappears and comes back within seconds
Yes it does come back now when I shut down utorrent and restart it again

So... which is it? Your first post made it sound like it came back immediately after you removed it, which is the main reason it seemed weird to me.

I'm completely baffled then. It almost certainly wouldn't be a permissions issue, because

1) µTorrent doesn't dynamically reload resume.dat, so there's no reason it would pop back into the listview

2) if it were a permissions issue, µTorrent would complain pretty quickly with an "Access Denied" error

Try uh...

a) get HijackThis from trendsecure.com, run it, view the log, and post the contents here

B) get Process Explorer from sysinternals.com, run it, Ctrl+D (to show the lower DLL pane), select the µTorrent process from the list, Ctrl+S (and save the list somewhere you'll find easily -- like the Desktop), then post the contents of the saved process list in the .txt file here

> it only came back when utorrent was closed and then restarted.

Do you have automatically load .torrents from checked on (Control+P, Directories)? uTorrent may be scanning that directory for .torrent files upon restart. That would explain the behavior you are encountering.

µTorrent would have renamed/deleted the files already by the time cossak2007 removes the torrent job from the list. I suppose it could always be permissions issue with that directory (µTorrent being unable to delete/rename the .torrent file on load), but µTorrent does scan the directory more often than simply on startup, so that probably wouldn't be a sufficient explanation :/

Jewelisheaven or Ultima

Even with full control in administration mode, the following torrents keep coming back after the torrents & files are deleted in utorrent..

Vista Ultimate, x64

What can I try different?

Thanks

Log File

[17:37:27] Unable to load "Battle in heaven KLAXXON.torrent": Torrent is already loaded!

[17:37:27] Unable to rename/delete 'E:\Torrents\TorrentsNew\Battle in heaven KLAXXON.torrent'

[17:37:27] Unable to load "Equilibrium KLAXXON.torrent": Torrent is already loaded!

[17:37:27] Unable to rename/delete 'E:\Torrents\TorrentsNew\Equilibrium KLAXXON.torrent'.

[17:37:27] Unable to load "Man on Fire KLAXXON.torrent": Torrent is already loaded!

[17:37:27] Unable to rename/delete 'E:\Torrents\TorrentsNew\Man on Fire KLAXXON.torrent'.

%PROGRAMFILES% is protected by default so try using your \Users\ folder to do the jobbing..

Not sure of what you mean. What's jobbing? and how does this correct my problem?

When torrents and data are deleted within utorrent, does it normally remove the torrent file and its data?

UAC already turned off. How do I give universal permissions to those folders and files as I am already logged in with admin privileges?

Would I need to move the settings.dat directory to a root directory of my main drive?

If I do, how do I point to this new directory so uTorrent can find it?

When loading, and not deleting the files (also an option) they are .LOADED . You will not see any files loaded into uT in the auto-load directory as .TORRENT anymore. If you enable errors in the Logger tab, do you see any "cannot access ____ torrent file"?

That process explorer log doesn't have the actual DLL list. Could you press Ctrl-D in PE to show it and then save another txt file and edit your post above with it? That looks like a tight ship :/ And I have no idea why you're experiencing this problem.

Success then!! You have bad file permissions on that folder for whatever reason. As I said previously %PROGRAMFILES% is protected by default so try using your \Users\ folder to do the jobbing... if that solves all your problems then you can choose to run uT elevated to access program files or disable UAC (those are the only two options I know of in-directly since I have not poked at Vista extensively yet).

%PROGRAMFILES% is protected by default so try using your \Users\ folder to do the jobbing..

Not sure of what you mean. What's jobbing? and how does this correct my problem?

When torrents and data are deleted within utorrent, does it normally remove the torrent file and its data?

UAC already turned off. How do I give universal permissions to those folders and files as I am already logged in with admin privileges?

Would I need to move the settings.dat directory to a root directory of my main drive?

If I do, how do I point to this new directory so uTorrent can find it?

Saw this article today on the web re: utorrent. Thought you might be interested.

The Ultimate Vista Workaround...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So inlight of me getting all of my programs to either run or run more efficiently do to this wonderful workaround I found I decided to share it.

I was unable to run many smaller or even some large third party software. Due to Vista's restrictive and agressive security policies many of these programs simply don't run or give error messages because as a "Computer Administrator" type user you are still not entitled to full access and privilages provided to a full administrator. The ultimate workaround...just run all programs as an administrator. Find the executable file and open its properties dialog, go to the compatibility tab and check the box "Run program as administrator". All programs will work and better. I did it for uTorrent and had tremendous speed increases in upload and download speeds. I do it for games and actually get slightly improved performance. Games are a little more complicated though. I do it for many small third part applications and they run.

I know it may be daunting to do this for every exectuable, but there is a way which you can easily manipulate the security policies and privilages of the user to do this for all programs. It been mentioned like a thousand times on all over the web so I won't bother here.

So the next time a program refuses to run or will not run efficiently do this work around.

Thanks for your help.

Terry

Archived