? Version/Filename-Dependant Settings

Hi,

For a while now, I have been keeping 1.7.7 as utorrent.exe but using 1.8.0.8205 as utorrentb.exe. I downloaded 1.8.0.8902 today and decided to save it as utorrent.exe and get rid of utorrentb.exe. However by doing so, I have lost my column sizings and such. If I run the old files, they are fine, but the new one does not take on the new settings and keeps prompting me with an installation dialog (I kill it instead of shutdown to avoid having it overwrite the existing settings).

I am wondering if the settings are version and/or filename-dependant. There is no mention of the filename that I can find, but right at the start of the settings.dat file is a fileguard entry with what looks like some kind of hash. I suspect that it is µTorrent's way of detecting when a different version is being run (like eMule's version entry in emule.ini). I cannot however figure out what hashing algorithm is being used; it looks like an SHA1 hash, but the value doesn't match.

What algorithm is used to hash the file, and/or how can I get the settings to take on a new version/filename?

Thanks.

Thanks, but I've already tried that (sort of). I copied the hash from a copy of settings.dat that was created by the new version to a copy of it from the old one that had my sizings. I also had to update a couple of other entries to get around the installation dialog, but in the end the columns were not saved. In fact, settings.dat was renamed to settings.dat.1.bad and ignored.

I'll try using BEncode Editor to copy just the column sizings from the old version to the new one instead.

One thing I noticed was that it seems that some of the other settings were altered. I suppose that's normal if for example a new setting is created or an old one is forced to some value for security reasons.

I need to use µTorrent today, so I'll probably just use 8205 for now. Either that, or use the old make-a-screenshot-of-old-layout-and-redo-new-version-from-that method.

*UPDATE*

I reset everything the way it was and the layout is correct. I tried renaming utorrentb.exe to utorrent.exe and it presented me with the Windows Integration Dialog. Renaming it back to utorrentb.exe allowed it to run noramly. I repeated this a couple of times and can confirm that the filename is indeed relevant to the settings, yet I see no reference to it in any of the files. :|

The settings for LV_* MUST match the number of columns. When upgrading they aren't kept. You must know 1) where in the list order th column is being injected and then 2) put in 3 bytes with relevant values... If you know the added column in the Files tab is 4, 5, and 6 .. taking the column number to 10, you copy the existing key data (23 bytes) put it in an editor where you can separate them out... I space each column out for clarity. Then you add 9 bytes after the first 14. And for ease of use I always put them at the end so, the bytes would look like 874000 884000 894000 . Compress the new data (32 bytes) back into LV_FILES and repeat for how ever many listviews you want :D

uTorrent does not care what it is named afaik. You can only have one settings.dat in each directory. When you're editing the settings.dat you're deleting .FILEGUARD right?

Is there a way to not display the message that utorrent is freeware? isn't cause i'm selling it, but i install utorrent as service to use as webui at my network via ftp and can't use a generic settings.dat cause it doesn't allowed, i get the freeware message and every time the computer reboot i lose the currents downloads, cause the resume.dat wasn't created

if i don't have this message will save a lot of time, cause i won't have to logon in each machine and click the Ok botton

any help?

Archived