"abuse" email from my ISP

donCarlos

I just loaded uTorrent 2 days ago and downloaded a couple of videos.

This morning I received an email from my ISP indicating that they had received a complaint from the ESA that my IP address was downloading copyrighted material, specifically a game of some kind.

I am curious as to how this may be possible since I had never even heard of this game before receiving this email, and certainly was not, nor would have ever, downloaded it.

Any thoughts on this? Is there some kind of passive mode that uTorrent operates in that would make me appear to be a host?

I know for certain that I didn't search for, or download, that file - which is why I posted my original note asking if it was possible that uTorrent could passively act as a host, or make it appear that I was downloading something that a peer connected via me was actually downloading.

My wireless network is hidden and encrypted, and I've checked the other machines on my network to see if they have contracted a virus (didn't expect to find one).

I've since emailed my ISP (Rogers) saying I've never heard of the ESA or the copyrighted content being infringed upon and simply don't know what they are talking about - and asking for their assistance in fixing this problem.

I also just got a similar letter from Comcast this morning. There are rumors that UTorrent is working on a Comcast encryption scheme - anyone heard about this? With Comcasts woes with the FCC, it looks like they're monitoring traffic and randomly sending out these scare letters.

Archived