Missing Flags

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
why does it show .net suffixes as USA flag a lot of the are UK providers?

Maybe because it's managed by ICANN and operated by Verisign, both of which are American?

I don't think µTorrent uses geolocation to figure out which country a hostname belongs to, just the TLD. Just a guess though I could be wrong.

Maybe because it's managed by ICANN and operated by Verisign, both of which are American?

I don't think µTorrent uses geolocation to figure out which country a hostname belongs to, just the TLD. Just a guess though I could be wrong.

well it have been manually coded into it to show the flags :P

This has been up before (search)

Those domains are getting the USA flag because of the top domain, there's no resolving and checking what provider it is (exept for two cases in 1.1.5 where two swedish isp's were added specific).

There's really no use to use bandwidth to check every single peer, and I wouldn't have the devs sitting a compiling a list over every isp just so that we can get the right flag :)

I have noticed that the .net ones are tagged with an american flag, even if they are from UK, Sweden or anywhere else.

Yes, as someone before me told us, it's very difficult to determine which country a particular .net domain belongs to, and because of this it defaults to the American flag. The flags are just an approximation though, you don't have to take it too seriously. Someone could be behind a proxy, or someone (like me for instance) has a dynamic IP (and an ISP which leases lines from everywhere), so even though I'm on an island, very rarely do I get the correct designation. Sometimes I'm identified as from the U.S., sometimes Spain etc. :)

Edit: Tozz beat me to it. Boohoo! :P

.ba = Bosnia and Herzegovina (Flag)

.to = Tonga (Flag)

.jo = Jordan (Flag)

also find .za (south africa)

Me too.

I also noticed that .org doesn't have a flag, maybe .net / .com / .edu / the other generic TLDs should be like that as well? Maybe not, then there'd be no USA flags ... who has a .us hostname? :rolleyes:

There's plenty of free DNS services which use routing data and whois lists to accurately report back the country of an IP. One of them is http://www.blackholes.us/. Replacing the current peer name query with this kind would be trivial job.

C:>nslookup
Default Server: x
Address: y

> set q=ptr
> 12.34.56.78
Server: x

*** x can't find 78.56.34.12.in-addr.arpa.: Non-existent domain

> set q=txt
> 78.56.34.12.countries.blackholes.us
Server: x

Non-authoritative answer:
78.56.34.12.countries.blackholes.us text =

"us"

It's still showing some of the swedish isp's to be american.

These are the ones I've noticed this far:

*.glocalnet.net

*.bredband.scanova.net

*.velocitytech.net

*.soderhamn-net.com

*.se.borderlight.net

*.siw.siwnet.net

*.ornskoldsvik.com

*.skekraft.net

*.gavlenet.com

So if you nice devs have any plans of adding these to the list of swedish isp's, I'm glad to have helped.. :D

Archived