Error: The supplied user buffer is not valid for the requested oper...

jempalmer

From MSDN

ERROR_INVALID_USER_BUFFER - 1784 - 0x6F8

The supplied user buffer is not valid for the requested operation.

I haven't seen that before :(

When does this happen? I presume this shows in the Status column in the main torrent pane, yes?

What is uT doing prior to this? Does the torrent continue if you START it again after the error occurs?

Yes it does show in the Status column. µtorrent is working perfectly up to that point. Restarting the torrent doesn't help. Checking reaches around 39% and the same thing happens. Tried deleting the contents of %AppData%\µtorrent so resetting to defaults, still the same. Ironically a second torrent of the same size that I am seeding has completed around 96%, yet the troublesome one only about 95%. Slightly strange resolution to this. Deleted contents of %AppData%\µtorrent (again!). Then restarted the machine and reloaded the torrent. Now all is copacetic. Thanks for the info earlier jewelisheaven. All the best.

• 1 month later...

actually what had happened was, I was just about to add a .torrent file by clicking the "add torrent" button when it just closed itself, and exited itself. I restarted the program, and the torrent then caused that same issue. I did however find the fix as was "lol" stated previously just remove the torrent from utorrent then, for vista users the folder is in "username"/AppData/Roaming/uTorrent just delete the file that was causing the error. restart utorrent, and re-add the torrent file. Good as new!

That's still really weird :( If you wanted to check out some more info which might help debug, check out Process Monitor from http://sysinternals.com (yes the same people who make process explorer)... it logs actions for processes. If you Log (Ctrl-E) and filter for the specific PID (you see it in Processes tab in Task Manager) utorrent.exe it will only show what's going on. I don't know what it is, or even why, but more information it can provide may shed some light specifically so other people don't have to restart uT if the problem needs to be patched... Was the file modified in any way, like read-only, or your username was non-owner?

No, nothing was changed to the file itself or ownership privileges. After i had done that, it did it's own re-check and then resumed it's download (where it left off).

yeah, I've been having problems with utorrent for a while now. It keeps on crashing, but i think i may know the cause of the crashes at least. They all seemed to have started when i installed limewire. Maybe a conflict between the 2, i'm uncertain. I have limewire set so that it doesn't handle the .torrent files. Other than that, i couldn't think of anything else that might interfere with the program.

Feel free to make a thread in Troubleshooting if you want outside assistance ;) Please include for starters HiJackThis and Process Explorer logfiles as mentioned http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=15992 and if you want anything you did to try and troubleshoot already. Simple proposed fix, uninstall LimeWire, if the problem goes away great! If not, more troubleshooting. Did you use something like http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=33939 changes to get LW and uT to handle your associations?

Archived