Red Exclamation Mark of Death out of NOWHERE

drokkon

I've been using BitTorrent since it came out some years ago; I moved to BitComet at some point, and I've been a uTorrent user now for three years or so. I've also been on the same router for three years, and I'm intimately familiar with its settings. I'm really embarrassed posting this.

I just started getting a little red exclamation mark instead of a green check box - both uTorrent and the webpage that checks say that my port isn't open.

I've checked the router setup - my port is open, my IP is correct (as it has been for years). I've tried different port numbers. I've restarted uTorrent; restarted the router; restarted my computer. I've turned off my firewall. I haven't installed anything that would mess with this.

WHAT'S GOING ON?!?

It shouldn't matter, but I'm using Comcast, the latest uTorrent, Vista 64-bit, and have a Belkin 802.11g router.

Huh. So I guess my ISP did matter.

I've read about their behavior as of late, but I didn't think that would affect my open port. I thought they were sending out "reset" packets or something... can that make a port that's open appear closed?

I've been through that guide - thanks for the link. The only firewall I'm relying on right now is the router itself and Vista's little one - which uTorrent is allowed through.

Color of the network status light in µTorrent's status bar: RED (!)

What the port checker from the Speed Guide writes: "Checking port xxxxx on xx.xx.xx.xxx... Error! Port xxxxx does not appear to be open."

What the Speed Guide shows your settings to be: Um, the usual stuff. Port number. Encryption enabled. Etc.

What you have net.max_halfopen set to: 8

Operating system installed: Vista Ultimate 64-bit

Security software installed: Windows Firewall, AVG Antivirus

Exact router and modem models: I'm too lazy to check the modem, but it's a Motorola Surfboard of some kind. The router is a Belkin F5D7230-4.

ISP (Internet Service Provider) being used: Comcast

EDIT: Stop the presses. It's green again. Freakin' gremlins. Thanks for your help GTHK.

Archived