Ratio after copying exact file and Re-Check

garreh

Hi All

I downloaded a torrent from a private tracker. This file was exactly the same as one found on another private tracker, demonoid, but the availability on this tracker was poor, so I decided to seed on this tracker.

I started the download for the Demonoid tracker, making sure to "Do not download" upon first adding of the torrent. I copied over the file downloaded from another tracker, did a Force Re-check and uTorrent found it was 100% the same.

Now because I haven't download this file from that tracker, the ratio is at 1028.768. I have only uploaded 178MB of 350MB!

wj9eys.png

I understand that its calculated from the amount downloaded value, which right now is 112KB, but it just simply looks wrong.

In every other instance when the full file has been downloaded, its e.g. 2.5, and the user thinks "I've uploaded 2 and a half copies worth of data," or another e.g. 0.5, "Only seeded half as much of the file"

1028, "I've uploaded 1028 copies of this file. Wow. I'm good." Technically, its correct. But it just doesn't play well with the user.

1028, "I've uploaded 1028 copies of this file. Wow. I'm good." Technically, its correct.

Not quite. It means you've uploaded 1028 times as much data as you've downloaded. It's most certainly not a bug, but has been discussed before (I can't recall where the thread is, though).

Seeding a torrent is easier to manage if you have a consistent way to set a ratio percentage.

I wouldn't object to the column showing a bytes "downloaded" when force recheck is able to find matches in the piece hash. At the same time, the amount "downloaded" would not be a statistic that shows up under Help, Show Statistics.

Hi garreh,

There is no offense. But if you keep believing a wrong thing is correct, then a lot of things for you are wrong.

"I started the download for the Demonoid tracker, making sure to "Do not download" upon first adding of the torrent. I copied over the file downloaded from another tracker, did a Force Re-check and uTorrent found it was 100% the same."

I was just wondering...If this is true, you shouldn't have downloaded "112 kB" from the tracker.

"Now because I haven't download this file from that tracker, the ratio is at 1028.768. I have only uploaded 178MB of 350MB!"

It is not true because you actually have downloaded "112 kB" from the tracker.

"In every other instance when the full file has been downloaded, its e.g. 2.5, and the user thinks "I've uploaded 2 and a half copies worth of data," or another e.g. 0.5, "Only seeded half as much of the file""

It is true ONLY under this situation. It doesn't mean that for other cases.

"1028, "I've uploaded 1028 copies of this file. Wow. I'm good." Technically, its correct. But it just doesn't play well with the user"

It is not true because you didn't downloaded the full file (every files in the torrent).

This is just my opinion.

Thanks

I think ratio column should be re-calculated based amount uploaded divided by current file size of existing pieces (not necessarily downloaded pieces) less skipped files.

I don't like it when I only download 2MB to seed a torrent on a different tracker then have to figure out what percentage I need to seed for upload amount equaling 100% of torrent size.

So edit resume.dat in cases like this (as GTHK suggested)? I don't see why this would happen often enough to warrant some kind of change in µTorrent itself. If you downloaded X MB, then you downloaded X MB -- no matter what state you were close to achieving before resuming, you downloaded that much to get to where you are now (presumably, seeding mode), and as such, µTorrent should take that into account.

Ratio means one thing in BitTorrent: the amount uploaded divided by the amount downloaded. I'm not understanding why, even though it's so well defined/accepted, the word's meaning needs to change now. [in-place edit] If you remove and re-add the torrent, there's no reason µTorrent should assume it actually downloaded that much, so there's no reason to take the size of the existing data (that wasn't downloaded after it was added) into account when calculating the ratio.

Edit: And if you want to know how much you need to upload to reach the torrent size... well, there's always the Uploaded column. Again, "ratio" is already well-defined. Redefining it makes little sense. It seems to me like you're trying to mash two separate metrics together into the Ratio column for (potential) simultaneous use.

Edit: Yes, I realize it means something different when the torrent is seeding only from the get-go, but that's because the torrent will have had one state during its entire stay on the torrent jobs list (seeding), so there's no confusion (since two different meanings wouldn't be used simultaneously). If, by chance, µTorrent ends up downloading some data on that torrent job even though it was seeding when added (maybe something got corrupted/lost), then the ratio column takes on its regular meaning again (and it still wouldn't be using two meanings simultaneously).

My point is that I would like a more consistent way to set Seed While Ratio in more situations than the current.

> so there's no reason to take the size of the existing data

From a usability perspective, calculating based on total size done (this value is dynamic as the done percentage changes) works in more situations than using bytes downloaded from a non-localhost peer. If you want to stay true to the definition of "ratio", you can say Force Recheck "downloads" the data from the localhost as opposed to a non-localhost peer. This way, the definition of "ratio" doesn't change since µTorrent is always "downloading" the data from somewhere.

Force Recheck does not download anything. It hashes data you already have and it finds in the specified locations in the Files tab. This data is completely irrelevant to uploading/downloading and is already specified in the Speed tab -> Disk Statistics are.

If I got counted all the data I checked and rechecked... I'd be in the hundreds of Terabytes by now. :P

There is no discrepancy in the implementation of ratio. Asking for an additional implementation is possible but only with highly common situations and would need to add utility for it to be included from previous implementations of feature requests. Thusfar no necessity has been demonstrated.

Archived