NAT issues w/ Vista and router: Possible Solution

tornangel

My setup:

- Vista OS

- Belkin Wireless Router

- uTorrent 1.8 Beta

First off, my utorrent usually runs without issues. I'm house/dog sitting this week for my in-laws and used "dynamic" connection settings on my router instead of PPPoE (we both have BellSouth/AT&T but they only have 1 computer. The internet worked but I was having No Connection issues with utorrent.

I hadn't changed anything and when I checked my port, I realized it wasn't being seen by anything. I triple checked everything and even downloaded Azureus to see if it could help me solve the issue but, of course, it didn't. Here is how I have and did fix my issue and hope it will help others.

NOTE: This works for those who have modems that you use a username and password for the modem/network. Examples are adelphia and bellsouth/AT&T. The following directions are for a Bellsouth Westell modem and Belkin router so please adjust accordingly.

Step 1: Open 2 browser tabs - one for your modem's setup page and one for your router's setup page - and enter the addresses.

Belkin's is 192.168.2.1 and most modem addresses are 192.168.1.254 by default.

NOTE: If you cannot access your modem's setup page, you may need to connect it directly to your computer.

Step 2: Enter expert mode and click connection.

Change your settings from PPPoE to Bridged Ethernet. Give the modem about 30 sec to 1 min to reboot and you may get a page asking you to log in. Make sure the lights are solid and login. If it doesn't take right away, wait a few before trying again as the modem is still rebooting.

NOTE: If your computer is directly connected to the modem, you may not have internet access at this point. That is OK! You typically can't access the internet while bridged without a router. If this happens, just reconnect the modem to the router and router to your computer.

Step 3: Flip over to your router page. Click Connection Type then select PPPoE. Enter your login info and leave the MTU, Service Name, and disconnect/time out box alone.

The router should automatically reboot upon applying the changes. To be sure, click home at the top right. If it suddenly reads "Not Connected", wait 5 seconds then hit refresh or home again. Once it says connected, you should see PPPoE as your connection type under internet settings.

Step 4: Click Virtual Servers (AKA Port Forwarding) under Firewall on the left and add the port(s) for utorrent. Apply changes and close those windows. Open utorrent (if not already open :P) and, hopefully, you'll have green. If you don't right away, either update a tracker or disable/enable DHT to force an update/relog.

P.S. If the internet is wonky afterwards, simply unplug both router and modem for 30 sec then plug them back in. It'll reset your IP info so it recognizes the router.

Hope this helps!

Yup it's not quite a sticky, but given the dearth of information it's good to get the link associated with appropriate keywords like PPPoA or anyone who needs PPP protocol :)

Like you said many of these specific locations for settings depend on the modem but the procedure is the same. Again thanks for the information.

I made my guide because an influx of people with multi-NAT's weren't being told they needed to use bridge mode and PPPoA/PPPoE when on a PPPoA based ISP, later I edited it to discuss it's use to remove multi-NAT's or bypass crummy routers, now if only I can add more router specific information and get it stuck... (reverse order if I can edit while stuck...)

Be even nicer to have different router specific instruction in separate posts like on the speed troubleshooting guide Ultima made...

What are some common routers used?

I made my guide because an influx of people with multi-NAT's weren't being told they needed to use bridge mode and PPPoA/PPPoE when on a PPPoA based ISP

*shrug* It (edit: bridge mode) isn't needed -- "chain" port forwarding works as well. At any rate, it is mentioned in the advanced port forwarding guide in the manual as well, which I do point many users to when they are in a double-NAT situation.

Archived