Difference between public and private trackers...

justifiedancientofmumu

I did a search on this forum and nothing comes up with those keywords in the header.

I did a search on Google and garnered that public is different to private in a way I could have

worked out without a dictionary, doh!

So, sorry to ask such a dumb question, you can just be brief, i get the point pretty quickly and

already have an idea in my mind of what the discrepancy is, but I would just like to know

from you more experienced users what the official line is. Thanks.

btw, i've only been using bit torrent thingamyjig for two days now!

So excuse my ignorance, i'm on a crash course.

Cheers again.

real quick, a public tracker is one that anyone can use, you can download what you want and upload whatever you want.

a private tracker requires you to register with that tracker, you cannot download from them until you do and they (usually) require you to keep a certain share ratio, something usually near 1:1 (i.e, 500MB downloaded, 500MB uploaded) Pub trackers do not place this obligation on its users, as they are not necessarily registered to the tracker. And private trackers may place restrictions on who can upload torrents to them as well. Private trackers usually keep a tighter rein on what is on their trackers as well and some of them (sometimes) have access to exclusive (till it gets seeded) content or 0-day if you are into that scene. That is the objective side.

On the subjective side, Most private trackers have better seeded torrents most of the time and less junk torrents, And if they do not restrict who uploads to them ratios are not an issue if you have something to share.

Pub trackers=no hassle, just find what you are looking for and click :D Seeding and speeds can be spotty at times but you are not bound by anything but your conscience.

Private trackers=gotta register, usually good seeding but they track your sharing and will ban you for a bad ratio but usually good stuff on them. And some private trackers require you to be invited before you can join.

which one to use?? suit your taste, I use them both.

That's perfect.

just perfect.

it will go down in the annals of explanational history re: Trackers.

seriously, thanks dude.

you hit the spot.

...now me jus' gotta fin' me dem 'private trackers'.... eh eh. lol.

seriously OT, but nevertheless as a little thankyou BlackLion, i'd like to leave you with this little snippet:

Talkin' 'bout the MU MU

Justified Ancient Liberation Zulu

Got to teach, an' everything you learn'll

Point to the fact that time is Eternal

Sample city, through Trancentral

Basic face kick, elemental

Swings, brings new technology

With K the L the F an' the ology

respect to Ludvig.

for the technology.

and to you BlackLion.

for the teaching.