Error: Incorrect function, ver 1.3. A bug?

pomor

Searching the forums yielded nothing so I hope this issue was not reported before...

Anyway, one of the torrents that I was downloading started throwing "Error: Incorrect function" error in the Status column shortly after starting the task and download would stop thereafter. Restarting the task would not help. Deleting the torrent and the data and starting download from scratch would not help. SysInternals Filemon indicated that the error would happen in response to a WRITE IRP to one of the torrent data files. Checking the disk revealed that that file in question was fragmented while at the same time no other data files were, either of this torrent or any other ones. Defragging the disk seemed to cure the issue - I'm still monitoring, but so far so good. I'm using ver 1.3, preallocation is off. Does this sound like a bug?

Thanks,

Pomor.

sparce_files and coalesce_writes are both off. I have an anti-virus in the background but turning it off did not have any effect. Also, after defragging, I turned it back on and everything is still OK. Regarding whether it could be a driver issue - it is not entirely impossible, since the file in question was being written to ethernet-connected XiMeta NDAS "NetDisk", which does have its own drivers installed, but on the other hand I use this NetDisk heavily for about three years now and have never ever had any trouble with it with any other app. So utorrent must be somehow uniquely different with regard to file access from everything else then. Does it do WriteFile() to a handle to physical drive rather than regular file handle maybe?... To me it looks like file fragmentation was the culprit. There was only one fragmented data file and it was that one that caused the error. Does utorrent intentionally or accidentally rely on the data files being continuous?...

Meanwhile I'll check the drive for bad blocks...

Thanks,

pomor

No bad blocks or file system errors were found on the disk. So far everything works fine. I'll monitor for some more...

Firon, did you mean crappy NICs which would not work specifically with NetDisk or those which would cause the error while being used just for normal network connection? If you meant the latter, how in the world they can cause INVALID_FUNCTION in WriteFile() writing to a disk file? This would mean a pretty major screw-up in the hardware/HAL/drivers, surely affecting the whole system, won't it? But this system works just fine otherwise.

Pretty weird, huh?... Maybe it was a file system error after all that was silently fixed during derfragging and I started annoying you guys a bit too hastily :) Sorry for the panic. If the error happens again, I'll dig in a bit deeper and let you know what I find.

Thanks!

pomor

Well, I googled the error, and there were various people getting that error. It turns out the cause was the NIC (especially Broadcom ones), since they were writing across the network and swapping it out for another one fixed it. The error only seems to get triggered when reading/writing across the network. If it happens to you again, try swapping it out for another one and see if it goes away. If you can reproduce it consistently, then it's the NIC, otherwise it was a random fluke.

• 2 years later...

It seemed I had it set to download directly to my CD. When I changed it to jsut download to the computer it works fine. Now, when I save the cotent after download to a CD do I save thw .torrent file or is there a way to save the content to the CD with the full .exe files?

Thread resurrection... for this ><

FWIW: the "larger than a phone plug" is called RJ-45 ;) Those phone plugs are RJ-11s.

To make re-seeding easy yes you can include the torrent file along with the data for the torrent onto a DATA-mode CD to carry it with you. However unless you have a special kind of CD-RW and hardware you cannot actually save to CD media for torrents. This type of saving, like a floppy disk is called "packet writing".

You want to be sure in the future this doesn't happen so change the Ctrl-P -> Downloads save downloaded files in... to a non-removable drive.

If it is the NIC, as I have no idea what that refers to, how specifically, pretending I am ignorant to the tech side, do I correct this?

I didn't wanna bug him with the little details :P.

As another little thing, there is some software (specifically InCD from Nero) that lets you save to a CD-RW or DVD-RW like it's a floppy disk.

Archived