Had a temporary fix

csdeven

My Linksys WRT54G (v 8.2) is forwarded to the port specified in utorrent preferences. (10100) I have a static IP in Vista ( Home Basic). My upload kb's are 430. I was only getting DL's of 15 kB's in utorrent. Then per a guide, I enabled UPnP and viola', I got 311 kB's downloads! For about 5 seconds. Then for some unknown reason the DL's drop to less than 50 kB's. Now I'm oscillating right around 50 kB. It does this for 5 minutes or so and then drops to less than 10 kB. It stays there for 5 minutes, shoots up to 200+ and then immediately back down to around 50 kB and the pattern repeats.

Also, my button at the bottom is yellow and the port forwarding checker says my port appears to be closed. I checked and rechecked the guide and everything is kosher.

Can anyone help? I am new to this and am learning as I go.

Has the port always been closed according to µT? Have you tried the web based port checker? I have to wonder if the oscillations are from our model router being crap, or it could be an ISP.. what ISP do you use? And have you tested with OpenOffice torrents?

Finally, on your router, go to the status page and post the first half of you WAN/Internet IP address. Using a web service to find this doesn't count, you need to check it in the routers status page.

From the status page, the IP address is 169.254.xxx.xxx

I just switched from my Linksys BEFW11S4 v4 router to this one. In both instances, the port appears blocked to the µT port checker.

Port checking: I tried "canyouseeme.org" and "amule.org" and both report that my port is blocked. I am testing my configuration by downloading "slackware-10.2-iso

That address.. you shouldn't have an 169.254/16 address...........................

What is the make and model of your modem? It may be interfering with you. What is your ISP? It's either your modem, or your ISP has no DHCP server.............

This is from my routers status page.

Login Type: Automatic Configuration - DHCP

IP Address: 169.254.

Subnet Mask: 255.255.

Default Gateway: 169.254.

DNS 1: 216.161.

DNS 2: 216.161.

I have a small box the size of a lighter that my power supply and Cat5 cable come into. It was provided by my ISP. The system they use is the Motorola Canopy system.

http://www.motorola.com/business/v/item.jsp?vgnextoid=34149ffbede46110VgnVCM1000008406b00aRCRD&localeId=33

My ISP.

http://www.bdhsi.com/

I'm on the basic residential plan.

I think I've heard that you can't forward on a sat system, and your IP address suggests this. Plus, you're not supposed to get that address from a DHCP server. Try going to your default gateway like this: http://169.254.XXX.XXX (replace XXX's with the gateway address).

If that gets you into another router, maybe you can port forward if it has a normal address, if not, you either need to get a valid Internet address or switch ISP's to become connectible.

I think you're misunderstanding jewelisheaven, those IPA's are bad for having in the router as an Internet IPA. It's ok if that's your computers IPA, but if your router has a 169.254 IPA in status like your copy/paste shows, that's bad. Did you try using the default gateway like I specified earlier?

I started over....

My system:

Vista Home

AMD Sempron 3600+

1.00 GB RAM

NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE nForce 430

Linksys WRT54G v.8.2 (No compatibility issues with this version)

Internet connection:

Download: 7MB Burst, 3MB sustained

Upload: 1MB Burst, 500 kb sustained

***They limit the torrents to 4 MB.***

Speed test: 220 kb upload

Latency: 68ms

Comodo firewall pro v3.0.24.368

AVG Anti-Virus free v7.5.524

I installed utorrent Beta 1.8.

connection xx/192

Max upload 17 kB

net.max_halfopen is set to 4

port 10001

enabled UPnP and NAT-PMP port mapping

encryption is enabled and am allowing legacy connections

all boxes in BitTorrent section except "limit local peer bandwidth" are checked

I didn't bother with the net.bind_ip value

In windows Vista my TCP/IP v4 static IP settings are:

IP address: 192.168.xxx.xxx

subnet mask: 255.255.xxx.xxx

Default gateway: 192.168.xxx.xxx

Preferred DNS server: 216.161.xxx.xxx

Alternate DNS server: 216.161.xxx.xx

Under the advanced tab in WINS I enabled NetBIOS over TCP/IP

instead of the default button.

I left QoS and TCP/IP v6 ckecked.

WRT54G Router setup:

Block anonymous internet requests is unchecked.

Application: Utor1

Port range 10001 to 10001

Protocol: Both

IP Address: 192.168.xxx.xxx (same as IP addy I selected in windows as my static IP)

Enable is checked.

I did a port check and is says port 10001 does not appear to be open.

I setup my Comodo firewall per the software firewall configurations thread.

My ststus light is yellow, but I am

getting 200+ down to 5 kb oscillations with the slackware torrent.

A different torrent produces a fluctuating 20 to 30 kb.

(Are the fluctuations normal or should the line be straight acroos the graph?)

I tweaked the Max upload rate to 21 kB and got average speeds right at

50 kB and as high as 100 kB. (100 kb for a very short time)

BUT now my status light is red. WHY?

How can I be receiving files yet have a red status light?

I have read and followed the "If you have speed issues read here first" thread.

What does the Network Status light say on mouse over? Also, you don't have to censor private IPA's like the 192.168/16 range as it's impossible for someone not connected to your router to use it. Also, you haven't answered my question. Further more, there may be a bug where having UPnP and manual forwarding on the WRT54G at the same time causes the port to close, disable UPnP and NAT-PMP.

Mouse over message: Not Connectible. A firewall/router is limiting your network traffic. You need to open up a port so others can connect to you.

OK, do you need the complete IP addy's?

I tried to open up with the IP addy 169.254.x.x and it wouldn't load the page.

I'll disable the UPnP and the NAT-PMP and try it again.

Also, can someone explain why the status light can be red or yellow, yet I am still able to download?

You used the gateway addy correct? If so and it failed, then it's impossible for you to forward. Moving to a new ISP would be ideal, followed by some sort of VPN service for BT transfers that port forwards for you. Maybe you can pay for a static Internet IPA, don't know if sat based providers do that though.

Status light can indicate two conditions, one, unable to receive incoming connections, or unable to bind a port. Both errors mean interference with normal operation.

Just to make sure I am understanding the problem....

Login Type: Automatic Configuration - DHCP

IP Address: 169.254.

Subnet Mask: 255.255.

Default Gateway: 169.254.

DNS 1: 216.161.

DNS 2: 216.161.

I can access my router with 192.168.1.1...no prob

I tried to use the default gateway addy....169.254.1.1 and the page wouldn't load.

Also, I spoke to linksys tech and they said that an IP addy of 169.254.x.x is an auto config addy that is assigned when windows doesn't have an ip addy. That addy is that same as 0.0.0.0. Here is an excerpt from the chat session:

"Zerabelle P. (10124): 169.254.xx.xx is an autoconfiguration IP address. It is what Windows give if a computer has no IP address. 169.254.xxx.xxx is equal to 0.0.0.0."

So am I understanding that this is a problem created by my ISP?

I noticed some oddities in our model router. If you can, try that gateway address while directly connected. If that doesn't work, then it's an ISP created problem that cannot be resolved by us.

Side note: 169.254.x.x is not the same as 0.0.0.0. 0.0.0.0 can't be used as a computer address, only a "current network" designation. 169.254.x.x is unusable on the Internet, only private networks.

I thought I did try to access that gateway while directly connected. I obviously don't know how to do that. If you can describe the process I will try it.

As a note, I have achieved somewhat consistent speeds between 50 and 100 (with occasional spikes to 160+). I still don't know if my graph line is supposed to oscillate wildly or if it supposed to stay at a mostly straight line. I suspect that because my ISP limits torrents to 4 MB and my status light is red, I will have those oscillation issues permanently.

If that is the best I can do, then I can live with it. But if anyone thinks I'm getting close and might try a few more tweaks, I'm all ears.

I found that disabling DHT network helps quite a bit. I have not disabled the box for "DHT for new torrents" as of yet. Do you think that might help?

Disabling DHT helps? That'd be a sign of settings being dialed a little high, for that, you can try lowering your upload a little bit, and some more advice here: http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=15992

For the status light though, maybe you can call and for an extra $5 or something get a public 'net address. I'm not sure about that ISP and method of connection.

Archived