Idea for bypassing bad ISPs blockage.

Rookie27

Hi,

I'm not sure if any of you've heard of Xunlei or Thunder (www.xunlei.com). Its a download manager that can also download torrents, its adware and its only in Chinese. But there's a guy (hehehunter.blogspot.com) who does a no ads version and a language pack (that still needs working on). Still, if there's anything good to be said about Xunlei is that its fast and is capable of bypassing my ISP TMnet's limit on p2p. Now I can easily get more than 100kbps than the 20-40kbps (max not min) I used to get. I don't know how it does it but Xunlei sure is a relieve for torrent freaks in Malaysia and maybe many other places where they're ISPs limit p2p. So, this is just a suggestion but how bout you guys figure out how Xunlei is so good at what it does and implement it in the next UTorrent cause I really like Utorrent. Its light and its feature packed, two things that don't always go together in software and I don't really want to be stucked with Xunlei forever cause its not user friendly and not a full-fledged bittorrent client. I'm sure the ISPs will figure a way to oppress us p2p users again but at least its better than our state now. All the best!

No, but since the 'gods' of Utorrent told me to, I will. Still, I feel like I should tell you that my ISP is capping p2p traffic (especially bittorrent) and is blocking access to several prominent trackers and I suspect their putting a time limit on me (I can download for a while and then the connection just goes dead or rather my modem just goes dead cause I can't get to it either. Though, it might be a problem with my modem/router but Xunlei doesn't seem to be killing my connection, it just slows down after a while).

If Xunlei isn't affected by bittorrent throttling... it's not acting as a bittorrent client. Therefore it really isn't relevant here.... similarly to BitComet's "Long-Term" seeding mode. In that instance however it's acting as a masked HTTP server.

If your modem overloads.. and has to be rebooted it's possible it's simply overloading from connections. So you'd need to lower concurrent connections to see if it freezes after a longer timeframe. Eventually though if it dies, it's a sign that you should try replacing it :/ There's innumerable models out there...

"If Xunlei isn't affected by bittorrent throttling... it's not acting as a bittorrent client. Therefore it really isn't relevant here.... similarly to BitComet's "Long-Term" seeding mode. In that instance however it's acting as a masked HTTP server."

That's what I read, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xunlei . Still, is it wrong for Utorrent to implement something like that? I sooo can't read Chinese and you can't set priorities, etc and the list goes on with Xunlei.

"If your modem overloads.. and has to be rebooted it's possible it's simply overloading from connections. So you'd need to lower concurrent connections to see if it freezes after a longer timeframe. Eventually though if it dies, it's a sign that you should try replacing it hmm There's innumerable models out there..."

It doesn't overload when I'm not using bittorrent and its a new modem.

Anyway, my sis is using the pc right now so I can't try out Utorrent 1.8 yet. And how should I upgrade? Uninstall then reinstall or just install it straight? Will I lose my current in progress torrents?

Holy cow, Batman!

I tried Utorrent 1.8 and now I'm getting like 20kb min not max anymore! Also, my modem's not freezing so often anymore (it still freezes but I've got a longer 'grace' period now (lousy Aztech!)). I don't know you do it but I'm feeling like such an idiot now for earlier post...Anyways, keep up the good work!

One thing to note, your upload cap needs to be sufficiently high to get good download speeds. For your global cap, the bare minimum is 6kbps to not have download limiting (though you should use 70-80% of your max).

For your modem freezing, you can try disabling DHT and lowering connections.

Definitely a good reason to "lose" Xunlei quickly like a bad habit:

"Xunlei accelerates downloads by accessing its proprietary P2P network in addition to the given HTTP download. By default it scans the user's computer and automatically share all files across the Xunlei network, often exhausts the user's upload bandwidth as it does not provide a real upload speed limiter. The user has no means of limiting what to be shared or not to be shared. Coupled with the lack of a hash algorithm, files are only matched by their names and private files can easily be obtained through the network."

Try the 1st link in my signature for more troubleshooting steps for uTorrent.

The 2nd link is my effort to come up with conservative settings for uTorrent based on your upload speed max.

Urm,

I have a 1mbps connection, though my ISP is silently upgrading it to 2mpbs, so it's like a 1.5mbps right now (ok, ok, so my ISP's not so bad but still, the package says UNLIMITED 1mbps!). Anyways, upload speed was left untouched so its only 384kbps so I just use Utorrent's default settings for 384kbps, is that ok? How do I disable DHT? And how much should I lower connections? Will lose Xunlei, downloading a torrent with it right now and don't know where it stores temp files so if I switch to Utorrent its only 50% completed but it really is 88%. Any idea where the temp files are and whether they're swappable? Anyways, thanks for recommending Utorrent 1.8, I usually don't try betas so bring on official 1.8! And Xunlei isn't all that great either, it fluctuates a lot and you only get fast speeds at the start of the download, now, I'm only getting like 20kbps average. Weird.

*I might not reply soon, maybe Monday (urm, that's Sunday for those who live in the US, etc) so don't think I left and ditch me, k?

Yes, if you have 384 kilobits/second upload speed max then it's of only minor importance whether you can download at 1 megabits/second or 100 megabits/second. In either case, xx/384k setting in Speed Guide (CTRL+G) is probably best.

I'd lower connections down to 40-60 total, and if you're only doing typically 1 torrent at a time, set per-torrent connection max to the same.

"Temp files... ask at somewhere people who've USED Xunlei (thunder) would frequent wink"

No need I guess, I'm almost complete. And uh, a Linux distribution? What's DHT anyway? I used to think it was important until you told me to turn it off? What's IPv6/Teredo?

Amazing!

I'm not sure if I did this right... In Preferences I disabled 'Enabled DHT Network' and 'Enable DHT for new torrents' and set global connections max to 60. Anyways, I'm doing like 60-70kbps average right now and my modem's not freezing! Hoorray!

• 2 months later...

Ok I'll start on a similar note.. I'm sure everyone has heard about Deluge. Where utorrent 1.7.x was giving 10-20ks deluge would give 100-120ks. It's in a particular location at it would happen at. Since I haven't been there for quite sometime I have not been able to check with 1.8. Do you think 1.8 can do what Deluge used to?

Archived