Dilemma

splicerd

I was recently invited to join a private tracker based on my generous 18.6 ratio with 3.6TB uploaded on a well known, semi-private, site.

Part of the agreement for the invitation was to attain a high ratio in order for more invitations to be accrued.

Seeding is not an issue for me. I have a 20/20 connection with no caps and I'm more than willing to share.

So, on my very first visit to this private site, I poke around some very high quality files and choose one to download (23.8GB) that has about 120 seeders and 20 leechers.

I see the file downloading at a blistering 2.4+MBps and go to bed.

In the morning, the file has completed, I'm now seeding and realize that there's a problem - I've uploaded ZERO, nothing, not even a single byte.

There's 18 in the swarm and nobody leeching.

I figure, no problem, I'll just go get another file and try again.

I try to login to the private site and get a message that my account has been disable due to a rule violation. Upon further discussion and research with my invitee, it's due to a poor ratio - and if I don't upload 7.6GB in two weeks, my account will be deleted.

It's been 1 full week, I'm still seeding, and I've upload only 6.39MB, and need a solution.

I started using utorrent after Azureus became Vuze. I recall a feature with Vuze that allowed some sort of private sharing with another account holder.

Does utorrent have a similar feature?

If so, would the private tracker recognize the data transfer?

Regardless, I'm open for suggestions.

Thanks!

?

Many LARGE torrents like that are a POOR choice for getting started. People selectively download and then it doesn't matter HOW MUCH you CAN upload... noone cares about what you have.

Get a popular, recent torrent... or if you can only upload see if you can get a friend on that site who will ONLY download from you (exclude all others in ipfilter.dat).

I realize that now. It was pure ignorance.

My past experiences when downloading large files have been that by the time it completes, I've uploaded back many multiples. I had no reason to think that this wouldn't be the case again.

Sadly, I have no friends - on that site, that is.

As to what to do now.... you may want to put in a request to the site administration through proper channels of course and ask if you can get another torrent to seed since you were oblivious of the long-running torrent's possibility of selective downloading.

Depending on the level of severity or possibility of your previous sharing helping you get in it sounds like they may be willing to give you a double-or-nothing shot on a new recent torrent. Certainly newer is better... RSS if you can get it, or double check ALL places you know of to see if you can download something LIKELY to be on the site even before it's ON there... then ask them if you can be the initial seeder on something awesome like that. That certainly would help... and also fall under "seed your own uploads" which Firon mentioned above.

Thanks for time, people.

As far as the site administration, I get the impression that it's sink or swim.

It was my first and only visit to the site, thelittlefire. So, I don't have a history of sharing with them.

I'm still wondering about the private sharing....If the tracker would register the transfer?

I joined a private tracker a few weeks ago and, although they were fairly flexible about things, found it incredibly stressful to be constantly worrying about ratio due to lack of seeding opportunities.

The best way I found was to jump on a newly popular torrent that I didn't actually want, that contained multiple files. Download just one of the files, and of course you quickly go to seeding long before most others have finished, so your one file is in big demand and quickly bumps up your ratio.

Even so, I decided it wasn't worth all the hassle, and parted company with them amicably.

Oh the IRONY!:

splicerd said:

"I was lured in by the fake-leeching Sirens and smashed into the rocks...sigh"

Biffo the Bear said:

"The best way I found was to jump on a newly popular torrent that I didn't actually want, that contained multiple files. Download just one of the files, and of course you quickly go to seeding long before most others have finished, so your one file is in big demand and quickly bumps up your ratio."

The solution:

BE one of the fake-leeching Sirens!

Archived