1.8: Lost connections with trackers after a few hours of work

al007

uTorrent 1.8 11813 lost ability to connect with all trackers and proxies (tested on local proxy) after a few hours of work. After restart of uTorrent application everything is ok, but only for a few hours then it needs to restart again.

uTorrent after a few hours of work

png1bs5.png

uTorrent after restart

png2ct4.png

When do you want me to make this log: when it happens that uTorrent cant connect to tracker, or any time?

I'll try lower net.max_halfopen, but it takes time.

Please take into consideration, that uTorrent cant connect only to tracker, downloading and uploading works normal with usual speed.

uTorrent 1.8 11813 lost ability to connect with all trackers and proxies (tested on local proxy) after a few hours of work. After restart of uTorrent application everything is ok, but only for a few hours then it needs to restart again.

Can you test other HTTP things as well? Help > Check for Updates. RSS feeds, etc.

FWIW, I'm having the same problem and the inability to connect appears to extend to ALL types of connections. Trackers, peers, RSS feeds, check for updates, in none of these cases can utorrent establish an outgoing connection. Incoming peer connections and DHT still work though.

What if you stop all torrents, turn off the DHT, and wait about 10-15 minutes? Does starting one torrent after that work?

No. Here is TCPView screenshot.

Also, what network card and driver version are you using?

Driver Description Realtek RTL8168/8111 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC

Driver Date 07.08.2007

Driver Version 5.674.807.2007

Can you test other HTTP things as well? Help > Check for Updates. RSS feeds, etc.

Check for Updates and rss doesn't works.

I did encounter the same behaviour on my own system, with a different network card. The odd thing is that TCPView reports around 10 connections that uTorrent is unaware of, all in SYN_SENT and not progressing. This really looks like a bug in the Windows TCP stack.

Do you see any Event ID 4226 entries in the Event Viewer?

I'm having precisely the same problem. I had perfect stable behaviour with the previous version for many months. From Day One of install 1.18 I find the client performs OK for a few hours, thereafter showing red arrows and indicating "Offline (timeout)" for trackers. Not all trackers, not all of the time. If I close the client for a while and start it, it will behave normally for hours, before exhibiting this problem.

I have no firewall software, no tcp/ip v6, Symantec Endpoint Anti-Virus v11, XP Pro SP3.

All problems began with install of new version of uTorrent. No Other Changes Have Been Made To PC.

I just tried raising my half-open limit far beyond 10. I did not get an Event ID 4226, but the same symptoms did occur - "offline (timed out)" on all connections.

Looking at TCPView, I see the same stack of half-open connections. But, if I waited long enough it did eventually go down! This is consistant with my understanding of how a process is penalized for busting the half-open limit. Connections are put in a queue and it drains at one connection per second.

So, as Firon said, try lowering your net.max_halfopen to something like 3, and see if the problem ever happens again.

Archived