After testing both new Beta's (Bitcomet0.61 & Utorrentv1.4) I find....

ZV

the Bitcomet is SIGNIFICANTLY faster and easier to use. I've been lurking here for awhile after using

Utorrent and find some of the comments about Bitcomet run from "uninformed" to downright "false".

I took the same torrents from Utorrent that were "languishing" for days at a slow speed and put them in Bitcomet, and the speeds were immediately tripled and more. Yes, my ports are forewarded,

yes my settings are maximized in Utorrent but Bitcomets basics setting still were faster. Some here have accused Bitcomet of "cheating", but ones persons "cheats" are anothers "maximizations".

Bitcomet has been accused of being "agressive", what's wrong with a client trying to get YOUR torrent as fast and efficiently as it can? With some of the public torrent sites this speed and agressiveness will make the difference between a complete torrent or the all-too-familiar complaint of being "stuck" at 99.5% complete. Even after being "banned", Bitcomet dominates my peers list in almost all torrents I'm downloading. And yes, I do like Utorrent and it's recent upgrades but I have to put this info out there for those who are still deciding on a client. Bitcomet must be good, some of the new Utorrent "features" are "Bitcomet style add dialog" and others. Make your own decisions though, take a torrent that you have been downloading from Utorrent for awhile and transfer it to Bitcomet and see what happens. The options and features and speed of Bitcomet can't be beat in my opinion.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK, then so be it, stick with BitVomit. :/ But don't come bitching in here, slamming µTorrent down when you don't know what BitVomit is really doing to obtain those speeds. For convenience's sake, I'll just quote my own post from this thread:

Of course BitVomit is going to get better speeds. :/ It has Protocol Header Encryption (for if your ISP is shaping BitTorrent traffic), and doesn't play nice at all with other clients (it sends many requests over and over until it gets an Optimistic Unchoke). Also, BitVomit prioritizes between its own userbase, so if someone else is using BitVomit as well, they'll get another chunk of the torrent before anyone else. There's a whole list of things it does completely the wrong way. So in short, BitVomit cheats and blatantly ignores the BitTorrent protocol in order to obtain better speeds. :(

I'm happy to hear you want to stay with µTorrent, 'cause only people out of their mind want to support and encourage the behavour that BitVomit exhibits. BitTorrent is all about sharing, and sharing equally, regardless of people's preferred client choice. :)

Kthxbye. :mad:

I finally found out why utorrent is slower than bitcomet (in my case at least) as soon I increase the number for global connection to 600, and max. # of connected peers per torrent to 100, my speed become as fast as bitcomet(or even faster)

I still miss the preview button by bitcomet, but for low memory usage I think I can settle with that. I am looking forward to see utorrent remake their icons.

see the problem is the BitTorrent is an economics ideal turned into a working protocol. everyone helps everyone so that everyone benefits. when programs cheat and optimize towards clients like itself it damages the "system" and cheats the ideas the system was built upon. it's selfish and in the end, that's not what BitTorrent is about. BitTorrent is about spreading the load out, not "maximizations" that make sure you get more faster when perhaps you shouldn't be. the other thing is about privacy flags. the private flag should be respected because it's been implemented as part of the protocol for a reason. if someone doesn't want something getting out beyond where they want it to, then why should that be disregarded? BitComet takes a shit on the what BitTorrent stands for, and is therefore not a good client. clients need to follow the rules that make BitTorrent work. end of story.

to add another comment to 1c3d0g's post:

Because bitcomet can use BT protocol header encryption,

it can connect to every bitcomet client, but µTorrent doesn't have BT protocol header encryption,

so µTorrent can't download/upload to Bitcomet clients that uses the BT protocol header encryption.

Feature: Ability to select label from the Bitcomet style add dialog

Is it like the small windows in bitcomet where you can choose the location, choose which file to download that pop up after clicking a torrent link?

update: then mine is not showing up, I did check the option "show dialog when add new torrent".

Why bitcomet is (still) banned on scenetorrents and other trackers (and why you get a better speed):

OK, most of you are wondering if the BitComet ban will be lifted here, and the answer is no, and it will most likely never be unbanned here.

Most of you think BitComet is "faster" than other clients, but what u don't know is the reason why.

The reason why is because of its countless "cheating like" characteristics, for example:

* it hamers the tracker, and pays no attention to the tracker when it tells the client how long to wait before re-announce.

* when it gets snubed by another peer (basically meaning the peer refuses to give the BC client any upload because it has not been given any download from the BC client, the BC client then disconnects up to 10+ times per second to that client in an attempt to get unsnubed.

* It has no (working) upload slot limit, so it makes the upload bandwith so streached out that each peer only gets a few 100 bytes per second or less.

* The new encrypt header feature in BC 0.60 gave it a very unfair advantage and would basically prefer itself over uploading to other tpyes of clients. (afaik, uTorrent is working on a similar feature, but will be making it public information, so that all other clients can implement it if their authours wish to; this is the only real way for this to be effective)

* If you request too many pieces from it (something around 100? or so), it drops ALL your requests.

* It also abuses super-seeding by disconnecting and reconnecting to get a slot, and basically monopolize the super-seeder's bandwidth.

* It has an abusive multi-tracker implementation (announces to all trackers in all tier always).

* It also does stupid things when making torrents (such as not use UTF-8 as the encoding for chinese, japanese, and korean users that make torrents)

The truth of the matter is, BitComet is faster, because it makes ALL other clients slow by the reasons i listed and more; the whole BitTorrent community would be a lot better off if everyone banned BitComet.

And as a final note, the BitComet developers have known about this issue for months now, and are only now just releaseing BC 0.61 which still does have some very minor DHT leak bugs, and crashes on many systems.

More speed isn't better when it is at the expense of other clients. Bitcomet wouldn't be faster if there weren't other clients that actually respects the bittorrent protocol/standards.

Bitcomet is the leeching client of bittorrent, making other clients look slow. That's not a fair competition. :(

yukycg: http://www.utorrent.com/faq.php#Does._C2.B5Torrent_have_a_BitComet_style_add_torrent_dialog.3F

ZV: You're an uninformed troll. Just go away. Live in denial with the belief that BitComet doesn't cheat. Unfortunately, just about every tracker admin (and many users/client devs) with a brain has discovered through their own tests what BC really does. The claims aren't false. BC cheats plain and simple. Oh and ps most of the BC users I knew have switched to µT because the speeds have improved so much lately, and it does it WITHOUT cheating

Just to add on the BC x uT speed comparison, I've switched back and forth between several torrents to check it out and, when there's a difference, uT is always faster. This is particularly true on those slower torrents where your first suspicion might be something wrong with the client. Granted BC has an edge because of Protocol Header Encryption but that's not relevant always.

And on another note, BC speeds are not calculated accurately, they are over-estimated. If you really want to make a fair comparison get an independant network speed monitor to check it out.

Still, having more speed is always better

Actually, such is not the case.

If you are only uploading at 10 KB/sec, then if you download at 100+ KB/sec and then exit when the torrent finishes...sure, YOU may have the torrent, but if the torrent is poorly seeded you may have sabotaged anyone else's chances of getting the torrent unless someone comes back to seed it some more.

...DESPITE the fact that the people that come back to seed it some more already have UL to DL ratios of 2+ to 1.

...and ALL because BitComet is very good at leech-and-run.

BitComet is only "good" if you get in early and do damage before someone else does.

...and ALL because BitComet is very good at leech-and-run.

BitComet is only "good" if you get in early and do damage before someone else does.

NOT ALL, and I can sure NOT ALL, BitComet user, and I mean user, not the client, are "good at leech-and-run". I'm a seeders using BitComet back then before I found this client.

Although I do seed, it seed at "way-too-many" slots (I tho I put 2, but still...grr), well you get to upload to more than 20 ppl, that's kinda bad, lol. I choosed this client cause it doesn't hammer the user's bandwidth, although you could say it's kinda slow, but you still can surf at a reasonable speed in the browser.

So, in the end, I chooses uTorrent, It rulez, (it reminds me when I'm using Azerues, the pieces chart, cool~).

Im actually surprised ZV got all this attention, im sure this is exactly what he(?) was looking for when he made this post, Firon has it right:

ZV: You're an uninformed troll. Just go away.

Sounds like ZV just wants to start somethng to me. The Comet's problems and issues are well-documented at this stage so there is no debate on this subject. If ZV dosent know/dosent want to know that is on him, dosent change the reality of it any.

Archived