Uploadspeed problem: "the net allows it, uTorrent can't keep up?"

sk-lt

Hello,

I have read 4 pages of this subforum but didin't notice a upload problem like mine (or a working fix for it), so I'm starting a new thread...

My version: 1.4 build 402

I'm a sysadmin, web administrator and blah blah of a private tracker on a wan. I can explain my prob. by giving a example:

BitComet, BitTornado both upload @ 1MB/s (yes, Mega Bytes. It's a wan, after all)

uTorrent gives a MAX speed PER USER approx. 130kBs. By uploading to ~5 users I had reached ~700kBs (this isn't all I can give!), but it kinda sucks if I upload to one user @ 100kBs instead of 10 times faster.

My ports are forwarded coretcly on my linux router/server box (i'm familiar with iptables and stuff... plus, BitComet and other clients have no probs.), so no NAT errors or such. Settings on such a connection shouldn't be a problem, but... Here I go:

Max global up: 0 or 1024 - it dosen't matter.

Alternate up. rate not set

Glob. max download: 0

Max number of conns: 200

Max n. of conn. peers per torrent: 20

Max n. of upld slots per torrent: 5

peer.lazy_bitfiels is turned on just in case, for my internet down/uploads ;)

Ftp/http/ssh uploads are fine - it maxes out my 10mbps connection. But uTorrent... ;(

I think there is a bug in the upload system code. I'm not that good with c/c++ not to mention network-level programming, so I cant look at it myself... But I can't figure out any other explanation for this.

PS> I did see a constant 700kBs upload to ONE user, but it lasted only a minute or two and went back to 100kBs... I tought that this could be a BitComet problem, but in the "peers" window I see, that the leechers use Comet, Tornado, Azureus... I will try and experiment with a willing user and try upload uTorrent -> Utorrent. Will see what happens...

PPS> my DOWNloads with uT are just perfect - 1,1MB/s on the screen. And this low CPU consumption... Man, really a power saving program :D Internet downloads/uploads arent a problem... I have a 512/512 up/down line. It maxes it out (but... I have confirmed the *no upload while downloading* bug too. Please see into it :) )

Thanks 4 your time reading!

EDIT: thanks boo 4 the right word :)

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK, have tested uTorrent upload powers to other 2 clients:

BitComet 0,61 -- upload maxes @ 150kBs

uTorrent 1,4 build 402 -- upload maxes @ 195kBs

I tought, that maybe it wuold upload without problems to a uTorrent client but I was wrong.

Will try with a azureus client...

EDIT: other uTorrent users on my lan have the same problems, but to some not only the upload, but download is slow too.

OK, here's what I got:

It's realy a problem with uTorrent. Uploading with other clients works fine (@1MBs+), uTorrent - ~120kBs. BUT!

Clients, which dont get full upload speeds: BitComet 0.56-0.61 , BitTornado, uTorrent 1.4 b402

Untested: Azureus

The only client, that got a full up speed: Oficial BitTorrent 4.2.2 (and I assume other bittorrent versions as well)

I have noticed that in the "Peers" tab of the seeded torrent, "Reqs" column the mentioned "low-upld" clients produce values of '0 | 2' , '0 | 5' and so on... But the winner (BT 4.2.2) gets '0 | 92' and more!

It looks to me as the low-upld clients send too few requirements for chunks to upload. Or maybe BitTorrent is too agresive? But then again, it gets what it should, the others don't...

Any live signs would be apreciated :(

I just thought I'd give an input...

I've experimented the same way as you are describing, but my tests resulted in different speeds than yours:

µTorrent 1.4 -> libtorrent 0.8: 4.5 MB/s

µTorrent 1.4 -> Azureus 2.3.0.6: 4.2 MB/s

µTorrent 1.4 -> BitComet 0.60: 4.9 MB/s

Your Reqs column seems strange for a high-speed peer since when I did my tests, the values were more than 1000 for me.

I haven't really got a clue about what the problem could be though :/

Note: The tests were performed between Windows XP and a virtual machine on the same computer.

EDIT by silverfire: Fixed your tags

µTorrent 1.4 -> libtorrent 0.8: 4.5 MB/s

µTorrent 1.4 -> Azureus 2.3.0.6: 4.2 MB/s

µTorrent 1.4 -> BitComet 0.60: 4.9 MB/s

Note: The tests were performed between Windows XP and a virtual machine on the same computer.

Interesting...this means even if you eliminate the real networking layer, which is probably limited to 1 gbps at best, you're still not able to download/upload with µTorrent anywhere close to the speed of the hard drives. (Or did you do this off ram drives?)

Seems to be real bottlenecks somewhere in µTorrent, possibly pipelining issues.

Interesting...this means even if you eliminate the real networking layer, which is probably limited to 1 gbps at best, you're still not able to download/upload with µTorrent anywhere close to the speed of the hard drives.

You shouldn't forget, that VMachines are slower than real PCs + downloading & uploading to the same PC means read+write at the same time, so the speed dropdown is OK. Well... It gets past my dead-limit. So more tests to come :)

EDIT: on my linux box the mainline 4.2.2 gets full speed too...

I followed Animorc's idea and tested some clients on my PC (uTorrent on my PC upload to some client on my PC too, no VMachine, just a other process). Results:

BitTornado 0.3.14 -- All OK. Upload to it - max.

BitComet 0.61 -- Bad. Upload to it - no more than 150kBs. (tested 3 times)

Azureus/2306 -- All OK. Upload to it - max.

uTorrent 1.3 -- Bad. <200kBs.

uTorrent 1.4 -- Bad. <200kBs.

Mainline 4.2.2 -- All OK.

Mainline 4.3.5 -- All OK.

So hiow should I interpret these results? "All OK"? I dont think so...

boo: I max out my connection too. BUT, this thread is about "uploadspeed to one user". If I upload to ~7 users at one time i get ul rates 1MBs+. But Thats not the point here...

EDIT: the lan isn't weak :) Mine "lan" isn't home-made, it's a fiber-optic lan that connects a whole city, has ~10k users and is still growing, so the problem isn't there...

then you shouldn't said "lan", you should had said "wan".

lan is confied to on apartment, house or building (or few building close to each other),

a whole city should be called "wan".

Thank you! I edited my first post so that it woudln't cause any more misunderstandings.

I recommend the settings that you should use µTorrent 1.4 speed wizard gives you.

Have you also tried other ports then the one you use?

Because we have hard that µTorrent's peer.lazy_bitfield doesn't work on some ISP's.

Like a system port for example port 80 or 443.

I don't see the point in changing ports, i don't pay for the wan speed, just the internet speed.

But, of course, I (and other users) don't use standart ports. Not to mention that other non-encrypting bt programs like mainline, bittornado, ... have good upload speeds.

I recommend the settings that you should use µTorrent 1.4 speed wizard gives you.

Did that. Nothing changed. And, again, IMO the problem isn't in my ISP (it dosen't limit anything in the wan) ir in my/other user's config. This opinon is based on test on my PC mentioned in post #9.

same problem here (noticed that a month ago maybe.., maybe the lan is weak now so i dont even get better speeds with bitcomet - it's about downloading) ... i can get upto 150k per peer.. if i have 10 peers (1,5mb/s).. there is a problem.. maybe utorrent has to be more aggressive and offer more pieces i dunno

sometimes i even get 1 mb/s to a single peer (stable speed)... he's using µTorrent 1.4 too.. i think ludde should check if he can improve something..

sk-lt from your screenshot i can say that i have the same problem (100-150k per peer, i dunno if azureus can get better speeds)

the speed wizard doesn't affect anything..

dAbReAkA: don't worry, this IS a problem and it will be fixed (or will be anounced as "not a problem of uTorrent but other clients"). Well... i hope it will be fixed, 'cause it would be a shame to have such a great client only for big swarms, nothing smaller :(

yeah i dont think that this is another client's problem.. actually the upload speed is the same

from everything i seed now i can see 1 peer downloading 2 of my torrents (total speed - around 100k).. it's been so for almost an hour.. then another one started downloading another from my torrents and he got 100k.. sometimes they don't even get 100k.. now they both stick with total speed of 70-80k.. it's not a faulty lan.. this is the major problem for ludde to fix or whatever, no other feature is more important than this

doesn't affect anything

i did a test now.. used bt easy tracker (see google) to create my own tracker and uploaded a torrent

TEST1: when i seed with utorrent and download with bitcomet (from myself) i get around 150k (180k max)

TEST2: when i seed with bitcomet and download with utorrent i reach speeds of 5-6 mb/s

i'll try different combinations soon..

EDIT:

TEST3:

seeding with bittornado and utorrent and leeching with bitcomet

utorrent's upload speed - 150 -170k/s

bittornado's upload speed - 1,5 mb/s

bitcomet's download speed - u can calculate it :)

TEST4:

seeding with utorrent and bitcomet and leeching with bitspirit

utorrent's upload speed - 2 mb/s

bitcomet's download speed - 2 mb/s

bitspirit's download speed - u can calculate it :)

TEST5:

seeding with utorrent leeching with bitspirit

utorrent's upload speed - around 2 mb/s

TEST6:

seeding with bitspirit leeching with utorrent

utorrent's download speed - around 1 mb/s

conclusion: good speeds with bitspirit in both directions.. i cannot conclude almost anything.. i'm confused.. if someone can offer a solution or perhaps ludde should do something..

It's just as dAbReAkA wrote - net.low_cpu dosen't affect anything. I did try this, just forgot to mention...

And another screen from me, it's so fun :D

clipboard022de.png

In this one you can clearly see, that the seeding torrent, which has 1 leech gives ~130kBs, other, with two leechs, gives ~280kBs, that is approx. 2x more. Easy math...

if it works i would just be wonderful.. hope 1.4.1 is out soon so we could test it

couldn't test with azureus.. there's some java error but i don't want to preinstall java for it.. :)

i think the downloading is OK (i get equal speeds with bitspirit, utorrent and bitcomet)

from my tests i can conclude that bitspirit behaves the best of all (for now..) i hope utorrent will catch up with it or even leave it behind :)

Archived