Problem downloading torrents at college

Figmieser

Ever since I moved to my college I've been unable to download torrents. The torrents don't even begin downloading - they don't make it far enough to appear on utorrent. I haven't read about anything like that on these forums, so I thought it might be a little different from the problems I've read about (closed ports, low speeds, kicked off, etc.) and hopefully can be fixed. I would appreciate any advice.

they don't make it far enough to appear on utorrent.

So you're saying the .torrent files don't even get downloaded? If so, then your campus network administrators is blocking BitTorrent by not even allowing users to get the .torrent files. Nothing you can do about it unless you find some way to sneak the .torrent files in -- and even then, they might still throttle BitTorrent traffic in the off-chance that someone manages to get .torrent files past the network filters.

Yes, SHORT-TERM only. They'll still see bandwidth used by you. And if you use lots over 24 hours straight...you may get throttled or blocked entirely.

So if you use a VPN/Proxy, set uTorrent's settings VERY conservative (such as NO higher than 128 kilobits/second upload settings in 2nd link in my signature) and disable DHT, Resolve IPs, and UPnP.

• 5 years later...

Archived