Can't get webUI to work

Hyosung

Dear Readers,

I've tried getting this to work for quite some time now without any success so I thought I'd ask just to be sure on whether or not I did this right.

I've downloaded the latest version WebUI v0.361

Followed everything from the readme.

-placed 'WebUI' into 'C:\Documents and Settings\Chris La\Application Data\uTorrent' (Where settings.dat is located)

^uTorrent.exe doesn't need to be here right? (That is in Program Files, and is the ONLY file in there)

-Enabled it in uTorrent, under the 'Advanced options' do i need to set "webui.token_auth" to true? {False is default}

{If i test locally, 127.0.0.1, that works on my Desktop with uTorrent running.}

I think that just about covers it... Now I am trying to get this to work on my Laptop which is giving me problems... and where i sorta need help on.

For the laptop I did the same thing... But I assume for hte IP, it would be my Routers right? Which for my Desktop the IP is, 192.168.1.100 {When I type this into the URL for Laptop, it says it can't connect}(But if I leave out the '00' it asks for my Router Login details, and after I input that, it is just a blank screen)

-Given that I am trying to access the uTorrent on my Desktop, I don't need ot enable it on my Laptop correct? (webUI), as I don't think I'll be able to torrent too much on campus and therefore want to direct it to my Desktop.

-Also for the, 'Http://ip:8080/gui', it wouldn't be my Desktops actual IP would it? As that doesn't work either, gives the same error as above, where it can't connect to it. Using '8080'.

---

For the Port Forwarding, if I use '8080', would I forward that to my Laptop's ip or the desktops?

Laptop: 192.168.1.106

Desktop: 192.168.1.100

Hmm not too sure what else I need to give out

I've tried uRemote / Flash UI / the FireFox Extension, none work, but that's most likely cause i can't even get the primary method to work.

Thanks.

Read the bit about accessing the webui here in this topic:

http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=33186

To access the webui from your desktop and computers in your home network you need to use the IP you get by typing that cmd /k ipconfig thing on the PC running the webui.

From a computer somewhere else on the internet you need to use the whatismyip.com ip adres and your port needs to be forwarded.

Yeah I did read that topic... And therefore if for example I use my Laptop and go on vacation...

When inputting the "http://ip:8080/gui", for the ip, I'd use the one that runs uTorrent (Desktop) right? And on that particular router I did forward the port of it to my Laptop...

No success...

And therefore if for example I use my Laptop and go on vacation...

Then you are accessing over the internet and need to use the whatismyip adres. But while it still is in your network you should use the local one.

And on that particular router I did forward the port of it to my Laptop...

µtorrent runs on the desktop. So you need to forward ports to your desktop.

Maybe you understand if you look at this image.

Im also having some trouble accessing the Webui. I've read every page that was relevant and im now lost.....

I went over my BW cap at home so Im trying to use my moms pc with webui for the rest of the month....

My moms pc isnt behind any router. Straight from modem to pc. Now I can access the webui at my moms house (no point really seeing as its the machine running utorrent), through firefox and her /k ipconfig ip addy (192.168.....)

Now when I go home to try it it doesnt work, the page just times out. I've tried using the ip given by whatismyip.com AND the /k ipconfig ip. Neither work and both do same thing.

I've opened port(s) correctly and am using an alternative listening port. I just cant seem to get in to it.....Im also using utorrent v1.8

The thing that gets me is that it'll work when I access it from my moms pc and not mine.....

Thanks for any help. Im desperate.....oh ya moms pc is vista, my home pc is xp. Both using newest firefox.

Does your mom's webui have an IP restriction? Using ipfilter.dat and blocking your own IP?

I'm not sure. How can I find that out?....I didnt install anything different than I would have here....

As well, considering the fact that your mom's PC has a RFC1918 LAN IP, you are behind a router. The modem must act as a router, in which case, you do still need to forward the port.

Ya you're right. But I think the port(s) are still forwarded correctly. I cant access her router/modem like I would my actual router to forward the ports there. Their just forwarded through her firewall and network connection area. There's nowhere else for me to open them....

Thanks a ton for you're help :)

So the port checker shows a green light and all?

As for the IP restriction (I doubt you have one if you don't know what it is, but...) it's in the WebUI configuration in the µTorrent preferences. ipfilter.dat is also something you'd explicitly need to say you want to use, so it probably isn't affecting anything either...

Yep I have green lights....and I didn't change anything to do with ipfilter.dat.

The thing that gets me is that when at my moms I can get it no prob. But when I get home nothing happens.

Im just not sure what else to do....The ports are all forwarded correctly or I wouldn't be able to access via my moms machine, right?....

Thanks again for any help :)

The thing that gets me is that when at my moms I can get it no prob. But when I get home nothing happens.

The ports are all forwarded correctly or I wouldn't be able to access via my moms machine, right?....

I updated my image:

webui%20access%20scenarios.jpg

As you can see you only need the port forward for connections that come from the internet. So if it works locally (teal or blue) using the localip but it doesn't work over the internet using the internetip (orange) then you probably don't have a proper forward going.

Are you sure the network status icon in the middle of the statusbar (bottom of the µTorrent) shows a green circle with a white V as seen in this entry of the FAQ?

And also if you go into the Speed Guide in µTorrent and press "Test Port" it reports the port is forwarded?

If you are absolutely sure it's not the port forward then the most likely thing I can think of is that your mother browses the internet over a webproxy. In that case the whatismyip website won't show the correct internetip. You would have to login to the modem and lookup the internet IP that is listed somewhere (varies so much between models I can't point you in any directions).

Other options are complicated firewall rules that somehow block your webui connection but not other incoming connections.

Archived