How to skin Torrent Status icons

Determination

For general information, please read:

Skinning Tutorial ignorantcow and Splintax wrote on the main page. Much of the information there will not be repeated here.

Wikipedia's Article on Alpha Compositing.

In an effort to diversify this guide, I have instead focused on a more visual mode of tutorialization.

A Visual Representation of the Supreme Righteous Icon Placement Paradigm

Below details the dimensions and functions of each of the skins available in µTorrent.

41845265.png

Alpha Blending for the Uninformed

Alpha Blending is the wave of the future! It will make your skins vibrant, expressive, and down right DYNAMIC! µTorrent can properly render 32bit BMPs. 32bit BMPs support ARGB color.

Create your iconset that features partial transparency.

65277478.png

Save as PNG with no background.

48690414.png

Once you have saved the PNG, use AlphaConv to convert the PNG to BMP. (This is, by far, the easiest way to create a properly alpha-blended 32bit BMP). That's it, you are done!

- This is a work in progress, please be patient. We now resume the reqularly scheduled program already in progress. -

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 10 months later...

it's either %AppData%/uTorrent, or in the directory you have utorrent.exe and the various .dat files (if you have moved them for portability / organization.) Check there, and be sure to restart µT.

As of the µTorrent 1.7 beta 1703, skins are working correctly. Mine are in my utorrent.exe directory.

Now I moved them all to the µTorrent directory, and nothing was set. In the %AppData%/uTorrent all was set, except for the tstatus.bmp, that don't change keeping showing the defaults icons.

There is another setting that will determine where it will look for the skins files?

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...

Archived