Seeding priority for good peers?

kurahashi

The torrent is working as tit-for-tat basis, but sitiuation when 2 peers are exchanging the same amount of data is quite rare. Often one peer is downloading faster than uploading to the other or vice versa. Well, this is ok, as long globally peers will maintain their ratios. But there is one strange thing I noticed.

Let's assume peer A is often exchanging data with peer B. Peer A is maintaing average upload rates to peer B at 20kB/s, while peer B is giving to A only half of it - 10kB/s. Peer B has finished downloading earlier than peer A and is going to seeding mode.

But when seeding, peer B is treating peer A equally round robin to all the other peers. So in fact, there is possible situation that peer A is penalized by peer B for the bigger upload (because if it would be smaller then the completion of file by peer B would last longer, and thus their exchange of data would last longer).

Wouldn't be it more fair to prioritize peer A in the seeding queue - at least to the moment the ratio between those two peers achieve 1.0?

Block peer/ban peer/kick peer will never happen. Stop asking for it.

Never say never :/

It's the only thing I miss, no NEED in uTorrent

And then even only for uploading torrents, what else am I suppose to do when 1 peer from my ISP joins the swarm and sucks up 90-95% of my upload bandwidth?

Or in the case you upload on small communities and want to give (known) good leechers data first?

That's right revert to Azureus :(

Yours sincerely, uploader of >500 torrents in a year on limited upload bandwidth

If you really want block/ban peer by ip, it can already be done using µTorrent alone.

And then even only for uploading torrents, what else am I suppose to do when 1 peer from my ISP joins the swarm and sucks up 90-95% of my upload bandwidth?

How about this case?:

http://img384.imageshack.us/img384/4989/whyproxysrule4zb.jpg

You wouldn't be aware that downloader is connected to so many other users and getting so much download bandwidth from them for very little upload bandwidth in return. Because of that, you'd never see the need to block that peer.

In this case:

http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=5181

the need is plainly visible...but just banning the really bad offender might not be enough to insure you complete the download. Most of the other peers already have considerably more of the file than the poster, so he would have little if anything to offer them.

@ Switeck: I was talking about uploading as the initial uploader, not downloading.

My ISP somehow gives extreme preference to peers that I connect to within it's network (maybe you can see it as a big LAN), so let's say I upload at 115 Kb/s max speed 100 Kb/s will go to that peer (if he wants to take that much). So then the only option I have is to kick/ban him to get a even speed between all upload slots again.

IMO uTorrent 1.3 is so close to being my perfect client: just the kick/ban and I would have all I need (RSS etc. I don't need that stuff). I don't like Peerguardian etc.

Anyway I will rest my case. Requests for a kick/ban option will probably be made a lot more times. I'll see what happens.

Archived