Virgin Media to dump neutrality and target BitTorrent users

moogly

Just fot the news.

That promises a ton of UK uT users on the board about throttling... :/

Virgin Media has purchased DPI kit to Israelian Allot to filter Bittorrent traffic.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/12/16/virgin_bittorrent/

The UK's second largest ISP, Virgin Media, will next year introduce network monitoring technology to specifically target and restrict BitTorrent traffic, its boss has told The Register.

• 4 months later...

In re-reading the article a couple key phrases pops out:

"Berkett was clear...part of a broader strategy to "monetise the intelligence" in the Virgin Media network". And worse: "....said the firm intends to lead the ISP industry in new network services that exploit customer data".

This clearly shows what DPI equipment is for -- and it's a LOT more than just BitTorrent throttling! It's intended to exploit customer data...data-mining it for "value", possibly targeted ads or spam. I dare say ISPs might go as far as identity theft...if they think they can get away with it.

Other ISPs have been "playing" with DPI equipment for some time now as well. We no longer should feel safe even from our own ISP.

• 2 weeks later...

Anything NOT using Carphone Warehouse Broadband Services, OR BT Central, OR Virgin Media...might be good. You'll have to research from there. As I don't live in England, I only know so much about its ISPs. :(

Bigger ISPs are more likely to be bad. Even if a small ISP buys from BT Central, it's likely better than BT Central as it has less compelling reasons to screw over its customers.

Do the research! 1 year contracts are a long time to suffer for a mistake! ...You may be able to get out from under a contract if you defend that you are NOT receiving the service you're paying for.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived