Disk Overload

jlaw84

I searched the forums and did not find any answers to what I was looking for. I was recently downloading something at about 100-200kB/s and saw that I was getting "Disk Overload" that was from anywhere from 1-12%.

This was the first time I have seen this, and I have downloaded things at much faster rates before without this error. I was not doing anything else that was could be overloading my hard drive to my knowledge.

Anyone have any ideas what could have been causing this and how I could fix it?

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the thing thats scaring me is, it started doing this a few days ago. ive NEVER had this problem before, and ive always downloaded several DVD-R's at a time. think my HD could be crapping out? the even more frightening thing is that other clients lag when i download (bittornado, azureus) and none of them have done this before a few days ago..

Ben: that is weird...I hope your hard disk isn't crapping out on us. :/ Have you tried changing the diskio.write_queue_size value? Sometimes the autopilot (-1) doesn't work very well for some people. Additionally, you could also use the diskio.read_cache_size feature in the latest Beta to further ease the load on your drive. :)

alright it seems to be stable at the moment. i set diskio.write_queue_size to 6000 (anything lower and it instantly jumps to "Disk Overload 100%" and freezes my computer.) but there is now a decent sized lag for a few seconds, which is understandable. but the fact that all this started a few days ago freaks me out.. ive even tried to system restore to 2 weeks ago, and the problem still continues. ::sigh:: anyone selling a notebook drive for cheap? :P

what exactly does this diskio.read_cache_size option do? ive enabled it to see if it got rid of the slight lag every 30 seconds or so, and it didnt help THAT issue..

It's supposed to create a buffer (in your RAM) for your hard disk when it can't keep up with µTorrent's request(s). Some people have noticed a big difference ("my hard disk is noisy"), for others - like me for instance - it doesn't do anything. Not sure what's up with that. :/

ben: you can find that out by getting SpinRite

Does uninstalling NOD32 fix it by the way?

i havent tried uninstalling nod32, since ive used it for over a year and have never seen this problem before.. my desktop computer also has nod32 and utorrent and everything is working fine there (its 733 mhz/320 mB of ram compaired to this laptops 2 ghz 512 mB of ram.)

i will try out this spinrite program you speak of. for the mean time, setting the diskio queue option to 16 megs has done the trick :)

user7456: Options -> Preferences -> Advanced Options

change diskio.write_queue_size to 8 times your download speed (and no lower than 1000) in kilobytes.

Okay, I ran the DSL Report and these were the numbers:

2074 down kbps

408 up kbps

then

down 259.3 KB/sec

up 51 KB/sec

So, I multiple the top # by 8 X 2074?

• 2 weeks later...

I get Disk Overloads alot since build 421. It helps if i limit my download speed to 1000kb/s. It's very random though, sometimes i get speeds well over 5mb/s and no error msg and sometimes utorrent complains about 200kb/s. Well, just thought i'd let you know.

Archived