Utorrent loses connectivity > 15-20 minutes, My PC loses internet conn

yindao

Greetings,

After starting up utorrent, it will run for maybe 15-20 minutes, then I get the yellow exclamation diamond and it loses all connectivity to the internet, simultaneously my PC loses all connectivity to the internet. This ONLY happens when running utorrent, otherwise no loss of connectivity issues. I unplug my cable modem (connected directly to modem, modem directly to cable) for 10 seconds, then plug it back in. Then the cycle repeats as I described.

I would very much appreciate any help towards resolution.

Details:

1) I have read through the setup guide several times, and read through any FAQ that seemed pertinent. I read through "COMMON PROCEDURES THAT SHOULD BE FOLLOWED, REGARDLESS OF THE PROBLEM" by Ultima, and followed any pertinent directions. I went through "SLOW/INTERRUPTED INTERNET CONNECTION OR OFFLINE TRACKERS", and followed ALL of those instructions EXCEPT for the "TCPIP.sys Patching". I have also searched through the "Troubleshooting" posts, but did not find a resolution pertinent to my system(s)/hardware.

2)I un-installed/re-installed utorrent (using v. 1.8.1). My settings are: (Again, everything set per ""SLOW/INTERRUPTED INTERNET CONNECTION . . ." except I did not do the "TCPIP.sys Patching". I ran several speed tests, avg. of last three tests: Download: 10000 (Kbps) Upload: 2000 (Kbps). I previously had the U/L limit set to "2Mbit", after still having problems, I set it to "Automatic" (Options>Preferences>Bandwidth), which puts it at 147kB/s. Speed Guide shows: Upload Slots: 8, Connections (global) 750, Max Active Dowloads: 8, Connections (per torrent): 100, Max active torrents: 9. I selected "Randomize Port Each Start". I get the YELLOW network status bar icon with the "!", but ONLY after losing connectivity. Before running the port forward test shows proper forwarding, and while running the network status bar icon is green. "netmax_halfopen" is at 8. My OS is Windows XP home edition. Windows Firewall is disabled, I've got the "out-of-date" Norton Internet Security that came with the PC, Under Configuration, Utorrent is under allowed programs adn set as "Permit All". My ISP is Comcast cable. My cable modem is several years old, RCA Model #: DCM315. PC is connected directly to the modem (Fast Ethernet Cable), modem is connected directly to the cable outlet, NO ROUTER- as far as I know!

Wow, this is pretty exhausting to write about, as I'm sure it is to read. I love utorrent and feel crippled without it. I have used it successfully for many months prior to these recent problems.

If anyone knows how to get my installation back up and running, I would be most grateful.

Much Thanks.

Im having this same exact issue! is your ISP comcast? hopefully someone here will help us.. here is a link to the work i have done with comcrap.

http://getsatisfaction.com/comcast/topics/connection_drops_everytime_i_try_to_transfer_big_files

EDIT your ISP is comcast! i think this is comcast issue..those bastards are up to something i smell it..

Hello, I am also having the same issue and would like some help.

I have had this problem from awhile and its annoying because it limits my other internet usage when I am torrenting. However my ISP is VelocityNet (in Australia).

I have made this image which clearly identifies the problem:

imagetc4.gif

The dips (the upload lines shows this better) are when the internet crashes. If someone can identify the problem and help us that would be fantastic.

Thank you

For me the problem was in my router. When you login look for 'attack detection'. For me it's under -internet-firewall. Probebly it stands on high. When you'll put this to LOW, your problem will be over. It workt for me.

When your router recieves a lot of data and cannot relais them to your computer it detects this. When it's happening to much your router will shut down en your connection is gone.

'UDP Flood to Host' will be visable in the log of your router.

cept stripfanaat my problem continues after i take my router out of the loop..i have contacted comcast and comcast corporate and they are looking into the problem..im just lookin for more people that have this problem.. please go to the get satisfaction link above to contact COMCAST corp. also Switeck what info do you need? we will gladly supply.

Disable DHT, LPD, UPnP, NAT-PMP, and Resolve IPs...this should reduce the load on your router slightly.

Also reduce global and per-torrent connection max to 50 or less.

Lastly, make sure net.max_halfopen is lowered to 8 if it was above 8...and if it was already 8 lower it to 1-4.

I did all of the above with no luck. All it seems to do at best is delay Sandvine for an hour or two more than previous settings. It doesn't work long-term.

Header level encryption no longer helps against Comcast. The IPtables trick only applies to Linux and everyone seems to be avoiding a software based workaround. To make matters worse, today is 1/1/09 and my internet has cut out three times on the computer system running utorrent (my laptop, this computer remains unaffected.) The FCC torrent blocking deadline for Comcast was 12/31/08. That means that Comcast is now blocking torrents after the FCC told them not to. My firewall was kind enough to record a 12-entry TCP spam within a three second block each time I'm disconnected. With an outgoing FCC chairman, no one can hold them accountable. Obana won't be in office for another 20 days, and there's a three month cool down before he can stop them after that.

I've seen this exact behavior in two different houses, in two different cities, on four different computer systems and with four routers. It's the ISP.

So...we've got a problem. Here's to hoping the next version of Utorrent addresses it.

Comcast Sucks! I have the same problem also, windows xp,not updated to service pack 3 yet. Rca modem, no router. I havent had any problem with my security software. I have updated to utorrent 1.8.1, so i was begining to think that was the problem. With last windows update i had to use the patch to reset my connections in windows back up to 300(it reset my connections back to 10). My connection lasts for 10 or 20 minutes then drops out. Will try some of the ideas in the other posts, but i also think its comcast, heard in other forums the were useing something like this.

dogmeatknepp,

You have mistaken Windows half open connection limit for an active connection limit. They are not the same thing. The normal half open connection limit can be 10, yet you can still get 1000+ active connections. You can also get NEW connections faster than 10 at a time because the half open connection limit does NOT count incoming connections towards that max. Only new outgoing connection attempts count against the half open connection limit, and even they no longer count ONCE the other end makes the connection.

A half open connection is like you've picked up the phone and just dialed a number. Once someone picks up, the connection is not half open. :P

Switeck,

With Comcast involved, I'm not sure about much of anything other than I get less than I pay for. But based on my firewall logs I'd say I'm getting hit with a whole lot of TCP packets (my firewall doesn't identify what they are packet-side) within a 10-15 minute period around my disconnection time. It doesn't log all TCP packets as a result of torrenting, because those don't show up consistently minute to minute or hour to hour. Only near the disconnection period.

I don't even get slowed first. Just "connected full speed" one minute and ".........0.0 kbps" the next. Usually around the 1.0 GB mark, but sometimes higher if late at night.

I've used both the 1 and 2/M settings. No change. What I don't get is why it would overload 20 minutes on some days, and after 8-9 hours on others, transferring anywhere between 1 and 8GB's of data. It's too random to be overloading with the same torrents at the same times. For kicks I even dropped my speeds to 100/50 kbps with 1/1 down up. I still get disconnected... It's definately ISP, I've troubleshot through all else and too many others are having the same symptoms.

I used the event viewer and noticed my problems started around 12-22-08. I cant remember when i updated ytorrent, it might have been around there. Bear with me here this is one of the events:your computer was not able to renew its address from the network(from the DHCP server) for the network card with the network address 001111B2D449. the following error occurred: the semaphore timeout period has expired. your computer will continue to try and obtain an address on its own from the network address (DHCP) server. I logged these into the clipboard but i dont know how to access it!? The event id was 1003. Another event seems to do with port a being down. event id83. One more is: Your computer has automatically configured the ip address for the network card with network address 001111B2D449. The ip address being used is 169.254.89.195. and one more: The ip address lease 68.32.238.79 for the network card with network address 001111B2D449 has been denied by the DHCP server0.0.0.0.(the DHCP server sent a DHCPNACK message) Whew thats a lot of chicken pecking! Ive tried a rollback twice but it says its unable to. I have comcast,sony moden no router,windows xp media center service pack two. I'm thinking of trying to update to service pack three to see if that helps. As noted earlier i used the patch to set my half open to 200, though the viewer did not show any 4226 errors. I set my utorrent settings to 50 max, and under advanced i set the other setting to 8. I have utorrent shut down now to see if my internet connection continues to shut down or not any help would be great. i am fairly new to computers and learn as i go so be simple and kind please.

Software firewalls tend to have to be completely uninstalled...just disabling them does not stop them from preventing uTorrent from getting incoming connections. :(

dogmeatknepp,

maybe these links can explain your "semaphore timeout period" error?:

http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=15120

http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=43892

http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=44218

"turns out the problem was caused by a program I had installed, I think it was called Intel Application Accelerator. After I removed it this problem disappeared, as well as another problem that involved my losing the ability to install large programs...opening the .cab files would fail towards the end of the process."

Mentioned briefly here:

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=325487

It's a very severe error. :(

(complete data loss on a drive may occur...)

I have the same problem but I dont use comcast. The problem only started after I switched to windows vista with all the same settings. Torrents would timeout, then internet would stop working all together. I would have to restart comp for internet to work again. Any window vista specific solution?

Archived