Speed, UP/Down Load, Port questions

macbuz

Hello,

Pretty new to torrents and have done a ton of reading, have tried a few clients, utorrent seems to be fastest and maintains a steadier transfer of files.

Speed: Couple questions about speed. Why do some torrents transfer so much faster? One with fewer peers/seeders downloads faster than one with many peers/seders.

Speed: Why is my up / down speed either the same or up is 3 times down? Thought down should be quite a bit higher than up.

Up/Down: Uploaded files are larger than downloaded files. How can this be when I do not have the files to start with?

Ports: I had a port configured last night and now this morning it is red. Is this my ISP interfering? Will I have to configure a new port everyday.

Ports: Randomizing ports suggests ports outside the range of BiTorrents - read the port range is in the 60000 - 69000 range (roughly) and randomize will suggests ports WAY outside that range.

Ports: Haven't reconfigured the port yet, it's still red and yet have a steady stream of file transfers going on. Is this a bug?

Wondering if I should have posted 4 or 5 different threads? Let me know if thats the case.

Thank you

EDIT:

I have reset the port to a range in my router and no matter which port I select in uTorrent preferences, the light remains red. But the traffic continues ...... slowly.

Seems no matter what settings I use my download rarely goes above 10 kB/s and upload is usually in the 50 kB/s range. A bit frustrating. The ratio is always in the 3 - 4 range too.

Still wondering how my uploaded size can be larger than my downloaded size?????

Speed: Speed isn't related purely to numbers. It's dependent on the upload speed of the people that you are connected to. One person uploading at 100KB/s is faster then 10 people uploading at 5KB/s.

Up/Down: Stop the torrent when the ratio is 1:1.

Ports: What router do you have? BitTorrent can use any port you want, it doesn't matter where it is. Port forwarding allows you to initiate connections with other people.

Just wanted to follow up a bit on this one:

Up/Down: Uploaded files are larger than downloaded files. How can this be when I do not have the files to start with?

The reason this is happening is because when you download torrents it arrives in pieces and not necessarily in order. So if you download piece 1 and 10 of 10 total you may upload piece 1 a thousand times to a thousand different people before you receive 2-9 that you need to complete your download which would lead to a higher upload then download.

Make sense?

Seems no matter what settings I use my download rarely goes above 10 kB/s and upload is usually in the 50 kB/s range. A bit frustrating. The ratio is always in the 3 - 4 range too.

For this one try limiting your upload speed to about 30kb. If you're upload speed is too high you end up "flooding"your entire bandwidth and there doesn't end up being enough room for the download to sneak by.

(for everyone out there that understands the technical end of this I know how I explained it isn't technically correct but it's the best way I've found for most people to understand the process)

Hope this all helps

Rob

Ports: What router do you have

It's an ActionTek GT701WG - Port Forwarding is pretty straight forward, so I don't know what is going on. Been downloading most of the day with a red light and just this evening it turned green. IDK! Just checked and it's yellow - thinking it's a bug cause the downloads are progressing.

Thanks for the reply.

you may upload piece 1 a thousand times to a thousand different people before you receive 2-9 that you need to complete your download which would lead to a higher upload then download.

Make sense?

Clearly ;) - thank you.

you end up "flooding"your entire bandwidth and there doesn't end up being enough room for the download to sneak by

Yes it makes sense even to the technically challenged. I have made that adjustment and believe my download is a snails pace because others have their upload too throttled (back).

Still wondering about the port issue - red / yellow / green - the download/upload goes on.

Wondering about the 'protocol' option in my port forwarding. The options are TCP, UDP and GRE. I have used TCP. Also, there is another option to forward to a remote IP which I don't think I need.

My port light (bottom right corner) is green this morning so I checked preferences and set the specific port the prefs showed and removed the 'range' of ports I had previously set up. Light is still green.

check the Seeds/Peers column (right click on the column titles to add it if isn't there already)

There is no seeds/peers option to check or uncheck when I right click the column headers. The closest column heading option I have is 'Peer dl' and nothing for 'Seeds'.

My current columns are IP/Client/Flags/%/Down Speed/Up Speed/Reqs/Uploaded/Downloaded

While I'm at it, what are 'Flags' (Ud, uD, d, Ud E, udS I, UDOS, etc)

Thank you. Any enlightenment appreciated.

EDIT 1: Is there a torrent I can download that would give me the best chance of checking my settings relative to uTorrents capability - one that is highly seeded I guess. Thanks again.

EDIT 2: Found the Peers/Seeds columns you referred to (rmitchell) - I was looking in the wrong headings. Seeds is currently at .148 which is pretty poor. Peers is 26(94) ??

Had speeds last night at one point of almost 100kB/s. This morning however, the speed is back to 1 - 10 kB/s but climbing.

Wish I could double post.

Archived