Ok speed to start then it drops to very slow

Aeropars

Hi Guys,

I've been using utorrent for years but after getting a new windows vista computer i appear to be having problems.

I have followed the sticky threat at the top of this forum and have ensured the port is forwarded correctly, the upload speed is set correctly (38k/Bs with Virgin Media).

It starts off ok and have had speeds of 500k/Bs downloadn and then all of a sudden they drop and i get a download of in total 20k/Bs. My uploading speed shows as a combined total of 10m/Bs. Browsing appears to be very slow as well when the download speeds are slow.

Does anyone have any ideas on what the problem might be?

THanks in advance.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/12/16/virgin_bittorrent/page2.html

"Virgin Media to dump neutrality and target BitTorrent users"

(From the article:)

application-based restrictions would form part of a broader strategy to "monetise the intelligence" in the Virgin Media network. The firm did not, as reported by The Guardian today*, promise "to press ahead with its targeted online advertising technology".

the firm intends to lead the ISP industry in new network services that exploit customer data.

(end quote)

So, you're going to get your customer data exploited AND have BitTorrent application restrictions.

I suggest trying to find a real ISP...and do some research on them before you switch!

I know that's not the problem at the moment. I think i might have sorted it actually. I updated my router to the latest firmware which seems to have made it more stable. I'll see how it goes and report back.

EDIT - I spoke too soon. the problem has occurred again. It slipped ym mind also that people who i know use the same ISP and have no problems with using uTorrent so it looks like its just me.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived