how to make my uTorrent partially "invincible"?

TapSiLogMACHINE

down to business...

I on a shared computer (well, it is my computer but my parents are just a-holes and they want me to share this with siblings, including an older one. darn it why wont they get their own) and people keeps on exiting uTorrent no matter how many times I tell them not to. So freaking what if it slows them down a bit? It is MY computer. I need a way to keep uTorrent running (if possible, forever, well of course except if not logged on) despite of attempts to exit the program (direct exit through system tray, main menu, windows task manager end task and end process, and other process-killing apps, well they're computer noobs so the prevention of the first three ways of closing the program is just needed).

pardon me for, uh, ranting there... It's just really annoying... so anyone got a solution here? anyone please help.. I can't just pick up a machete and slash away if they don't keep off uTorrent, because they're my freaking brothers...

Use BOSS Key in uTorrent!

There's a message thread about running uTorrent as a process or service that might also help, do a forum search for it.

Also, uTorrent should not be significantly slowing the computer or connection down!

If it is, 1st and 2nd links in my signature should solve that. :)

what is this BOSS key you speak of? okay, I'm gonna search for it, but please tell me so I can confirm my search. and oh, they don't really care, they're ignorant fools... they blame uTorrent if the computer or the connection is slowing down because it's downloading.. I want uTorrent to run all the time... I want this program to never close, since I know that it doesnt bother my computer usage, it's just all others that use it that thinks so... thank you for the tips brother, I will be taking them seriously now. grr... LOL

I followed all the guides I've encountered and I just encountered one problem. On patching TCPIP.sys, my ESET NOD32 AV says that the patch from lvllord.de has a virus (Win32/Tool.EvID4226 application).

about the BOSS keys? I've only found out that you can only hide the icon in the tray, if run through a modified shortcut (correct me if I'm wrong, sir), but it will not work if uTorrent is run immediately at startup since it only depends on the shortcut itself. I've also found out about hiding the app in taskmgr, but it's not for even an advanced user like me should mess with unless given very specific instructions on how to do it and the appropriate rollback.

Thank you for directing me to the connection optimizing guides, it was really helpful. But I would like to know more about this so-called "BOSS key". If you could, and want, please explain to me what it is, and how to utilize it, because I have searched and found, but still troubled.

Part of your computer's slowness may be ESET NOD32 AV...it doesn't always play well with uTorrent. :(

Patching TCPIP.sys to begin with is not necessary to use uTorrent. Having uTorrent retry dead ips faster doesn't make your downloads and uploads faster. :(

I see. Computer's slowness is all good, I have no trouble with my speeds, except when people are closing uTorrent, now I don't get any speed at all... The boss key only hides the system tray icon IF it is run through a modified shortcut, but not on startup. In addition, these pestering fools (AKA my brothers) also know how to end processes from windows task manager..

If possible, I just need a way to make the boss key work on startup, and make uTorrent.exe invisible from windows task manager. Now, I have another question to raise, regarding making uTorrent.exe invisible (well, camouflaged might be the right word) in the task manager. Is it safe to rename the executable? You know, I thought of renaming it to something like "svchost". ;)

It works but the title bar looks different. Let me show you, please concentrate on the title bar:

This is how uTorrent looks normally on my computer:

title.jpg

This is how uTorrent looks on my computer after I change the executable's name:

title2.jpg

See the difference? Now, I ask again, is it safe to rename uTorrent.exe into something else (of course we don't edit the .exe part)?

It doesn't. You have the orange triangle so you are surely firewalled. If you can, you have to fix that.

I am aware of that, thanks for pointing out the obvious sir. Which, by the way, was not part of the query. Speeds are not an issue in this thread, it is making uTorrent basically (yes, basically.. applies only for the normal way of exiting, and 'end process' command in windows task manager) unkillable or undetectable. You quoted me on when I was asking if renaming the main executable (uTorrent.exe) is safe so that it's camouflaged in the task manager. But still leaves the system tray the mode of detection. Thank you for your attempt to help out through your reply, but I'm afraid that last one was unnecessary.

EDIT: Let me quote myself from my last post to affirm my statement

Is it safe to rename the executable? You know, I thought of renaming it to something like "svchost".

It works but the title bar looks different. Let me show you, please concentrate on the title bar:

This is how uTorrent looks normally on my computer:

Archived