BitTorrent client occasionally trying to send our Email(s)...

TauSigma

I am using BitTorrent V. 6.2.1, which i downloaded a few days ago, I am also using Zone Alarm Security Suite V 8, which occasionally is bringing up a Warning message stating that Bittorrent.exe is trying to send email messages.

I have used bittorrent previously, (have just had to conduct a HDD re-format as my Windows XP had become unusable) and i dont remember it trying to do this b4, but its always possible that i gave Zone Alarm permission.

Does anyone know why the client would be trying to send out emails?

thanks

uTorrent is occasionally sending BitTorrent traffic to someone that's using the email port for connections. If that bothers you, uTorrent can block ports in advanced settings...but people who use the email port probably have a reason!

Zone Alarm on the other hand...

http://www.infoworld.com/t/hardware/zonealarm-phones-home-apple-throws-intel-bone-143

"ZoneAlarm Security Suite has been phoning home, even when told not to."

(NOTE: This was only supposedly happening with older versions, but it was being done on purpose.)

I spent about an hour searching through FAQ's, the user guide and the forums (both this and the old one) for bittorrent etc. My firewalls are working fine, thank you and am not having any problems either downloading or seeding data after. This is not something that is happening every 5 seconds, only once or twice a day.

i did wonder whether bittorrent has had a reporting back via email facility for collecting usage data added (or something similar), I have not been allowing the emails to be sent as i am not certain whether this is a legitimate action by bittorrent.exe or not.

BTW even though the FAQ link was for utorrrent i checked it anyway, nothing there i could see.

Why would i want to ever email you? It is a legitimate question i have posted and see no need for that sort of attitude, if you dont want to be helpful, then why wasting your time replying?

What port is your firewall reporting µTorrent to be attempting to send "email" to? As well, how are bt.no_connect_to_services and bt.no_connect_to_services_list set up for you?

(And um, the time wasted was the time spent responding to DWK's forum signature -- something not directed at anyone in particular)

Archived