switched to verizon now utorrent is slow

lednut

Hi,

I just switched from cable internet to verizon broadband and utorrent has slowed dramatically. Internet without utorrent runs fast as lightning. Utorrent by itself still runs slow. I've run several tests to check the speed of my connection and also a test to see if Verizon was using some sort of filter and everything says I have a good connection with no filters. Initially after first having port forwarding problems I just checked the enable Upnp port forwarding box and my green check for connection popped up at the bottom of the screen and I thought everything was ok. However things still remained slow. When I download a torrent I can't open the torrent like I used to normally could. I have to save it first then open it. I'm only given the option to either "find or save" the torrent. I'm using a Westell 6100f modem and windows vista. I've also used the guide on here for setting my limit amounts and it helped but I'm still nowhere near the capabilities I had before. It just feels like I'm missing some sort of connection between my computer and utorrent especially since I can't open the torrent files for downloading like I used to. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Yes. Much slower upload and download rates. At my current status I can only upload at around 39 kbs total. Compared to before with total uploading around 100+ kbs.

What's also strange is the fact that the files I'm downloading have faster upload speeds than the files I'm just seeding.

I did that too. I have 448 kbits total upload capacity. 448/8 = 56 x .7 = 39.2. So I have my download limit set at 39. I'll confess I'm force starting a couple of downloads and seeding files. But when I go straight by the book it doesn't seem any better.

I tried setting the router to bridge mode and then I don't have the internet. I'm not very ept at this technique but it seems like I need a second modem to try this bridging route? If that's the case then will using a different modem give me a better connection and which ones work best?

Also this is my home computer and the only one hooked up to the internet.

Your computer probably isn't set up to handle PPPoE/PPPoA modes needed to work with your modem when the modem's internal firewall/router is disabled.

So...turn the internal firewall/router back on and see if there's a way to port forward in it. :(

I tried port forwarding through the firewall before and I get stuck (not very computer saavy). It first asks which service to select from a list and utorrent isn't on there so I have to create it. That's about the time I get stuck. The second step asks for it to be either dynamic or host. The third step asks for the port it wants me to port forward through and I have no idea what to enter. It gives me a range to enter and the first time I tried I just basically shot the moon and entered like 1 - 63355. This didn't seem to have any effect. I wasn't bridging the router at the time so I don't know if port forwarding works through the firewall and has any affect or not. Right now the firewall is just shut off and I'm a little skeered to do too much because I don't want to change too much without knowing how to get back if it doesn't work.

uTorrent uses TCP for regular Peer/Seed connections and UDP for DHT, Teredo/IPv6, and uTP connections.

It's quite likely if you forward just the 1 port uTorrent is set up to listen on from your router to your computer's (LAN?) ip address that uTorrent will get the green light.

Maybe your problem is similar to this person's:

http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=57475

Archived