Weird Network Issue

GMann

I had uTorrent set up and running fine for months, port forwarded, yellow light (Motorola Surfboard modem won't allow true port forwarding but I never had a problem using UTorrent) and relatively quick downloads of ~200kB/s depending on the file. Suddenly, three days ago Utorrent stopped working. Nothing on the computer or my home network had changed but UTorrent won't download; I have a red light and the downloads (when I can even get them to start) top off at 15kB/s before failing. I _AM_ able to connect to the torrents and begin downloading, BUT UTorrent consistently stops with the error message "The specified network name is no longer available."

I've tried changing the ports, disabling my firewall and AV, restarting the computer and external NAS devices, uninstalling and reinstalling UTorrent and even changing my download directory to the local hard drive. Nothing has worked at all.

Can someone help me out with this?

I haven't changed any advanced settings in UTorrent. BTW, when I reinstalled to try to fix the problem I upgraded to 1.8.4 from 1.8.3.

UPDATE:

I tried once again today with a brand new torrent and got the same results. The file starts to download at a paltry 8kB/s and then slows to nothing, turns red and gives the message, "Error: The specified network name is no longer available." And it doesn't matter if the download folder is the local C: drive or a network share, it's always the same message.

Here's what the logger for that torrent says:

[2009-08-21 17:48:52] IO Error:64 line:400 align:1 pos:159887360 count:16384 actual:-99

[2009-08-21 17:48:52] IO Error:64 line:650 align:512 pos:159887360 count:16384 actual:0

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have seen this error before, specifically if you're downloading a torrent to a network share/NAS. Go to control panel > administrative tools > event viewer > system

If you see a warning with a yellow sign that has an exclamation point, double-click on it. If it says anything about a DOS attack then chances are its being caused by uTorrent making too many TCP connections to your network share. To be extra sure, try downloading your file again and if it errors at the exact time the event viewer shows this error then thats what's causing it

To get around this error, see the link below

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/898468

Archived