All blocks of all pieces complete -- pieces remain incomplete

wrs87

For some reason my downloads are not completing, but it is not for a lack of availability. Each piece gets found and begins to download. Each block in each piece downloads, but every single piece hits, as an example, 256 blocks complete of 256 total and stalls without dropping off the 'pieces' tab and showing up complete and purple in the 'files' tab.

It doesn't matter how long I leave it. I've left a file until 256 blocks of 256 total were downloaded in each of 1054 pieces, but not a single pieces is able to be reported as complete.

Also, if I stop the file and force recheck it, utorrent freezes indefinitely.

Any thoughts?

I am facing the same problem but it is with one torrent only so i don't think it's a prob with my hard drive. I downloaded one file from the torrent without any probs but after that it's just not 'consolidating' the downloaded pieces. I removed the torrent and re-downloaded it but to no avail. I want to know if I can fix this..

Problem is that I have the same issue on both partitions on my laptop hard drive as well as downloading directly to my external drive.

Question: if uTorrent is downloading directly to an external drive, does it try to download to the local drive as a temporary file, then move the data over to the external as a seconday process, or will it support direct downloading to the external?

and yes, my problem exists with multiple torrents, so it is not a problem localised to a specific file.

I was, however, strangely able to download normally for a few minutes this morning. one of the files I am currently downloading has downloaded 68% of the file according to the overall progress bar, but only 12.5% of the file is complete. that means that at some point this morning it completed (and recognized as such) 88 pieces out of the 703 pieces in this file. Another 390 or so pieces are sitting with 32 of 32 blocks completed, but are not recognized as fully completed for whatever reason.

as an fyi, it was immediately after I changed the download directory from my external to my local drive that the pieces started completing regularly, but soon thereafter it went back to the same problem.

another fyi, at the bottom of uTorrent to the left of the DHT status, it says "disk overloaded 100%". Having said that, all files are no longer downloading to the external, they are downloading to the local drive which, if I'm not mistaken, should have eliminated any read/write errors providing I don't just coincidentally have a broken local drive and problematic external that started having problems simultaneously.

also note that I've been downloading to my external for some time now and have not had any problems until 2-3 days ago.

I am having the same problem. I read almost 100 threads on various forums with people complaining about it (and not a single solution that works). IMO there is a bug (a race condition or something) that causes uTorrent to stop writing pieces from cache to disk. This usually results in a disk overloaded message because the cache will get full.

No matter what you do, and no matter how slow your download is, it still can happen. I have a SATA hard disk well capable of doing 12MB/s actual IO (based on a file copy), and I have limited my upload/download to 10 KB/s. Even if there is a I/O problem, it should be cleared out in a few minutes.

Repeating again: The disk overloaded 100% problem is not the main cause, its just the symptom. However, everybody sees this and starts a thread about it! As you correctly mentioned, the root issue is that finished pieces remain in the cache.

It seems that in certain cases, uTorrent is unable to recover from a "Disk Overloaded 100%" condition. With the process being unable to terminate properly, and staying in the memory, I am guessing the Disk I/O worker thread gets to a deadlock ... Another observation is that no matter how long you wait, it will not write the cached pieces (which are done in most cases) to disk. The only way is to kill the process, which results in loosing the downloaded parts and starting over again.

I am running it on a Vista. These are the things I tried and didn't work (don't bother!) ->

1 - Tried disabling all Anti-Virus, On-access scanners, and all other background processes

2 - Tried increasing the cache (it just delays the inevitable cache overload problem and results in more and more data to stay on cache, while no disk write happens)

3 - Tried disabling Caching, with every possible condition of those options (including override of Windows caching)

4 - Tried disabling/tweaking coalesce_wite and its size.

5 - Tried defragmenting the hard disk.

6 - Tried disabling windows indexing for the folders being used.

I am only shy of attaching a debugger to it and stepping through the assembly code! (or reviewing the source!). But I can confidently bet that its either a race condition bug, or an improperly handled error case bug!

I don't see any connection here. The issue doesn't happen with allocation, and as the performance monitors show, the uTorrent client is not requesting any I/O when it gets stuck (deadlock) with a few 2MB pieces cached in the memory. This can happen even anytime, either be at start, or at the end.

Moreover, I tried it on another machine with another disk, this time, the I/O speed on disk is about 60MB/s. Even with a very slow download of 10KB/s, pieces get stuck.

So, no, it has nothing to do with disk being slow or fast.

Archived