Port forwarding : intermittent ok/error

Silverwave

Hi, i've been searching around google and forum search and can't find anything about this problem.

Recently (few days ago it was fine) my utorrent client (bittorrent client too, i've tried both) seems to have problem with port forwarding. When I try the Port Checker, sometimes it says "Ok!", then I hit refresh and at random times (sometimes after 5-6 refresh, sometimes after only 1, other times after 2 or 3, etc... well.. at random times, really) then I get "An error has occurred!".

I've also noticed since few days I got this problem, my download and upload speeds can't seem to go higher than ~25k-29k. If I have multiple torrents, they split that speed between them (never getting a total download and upload speeds of 25-29k.

Before you ask, yes, i've opened the ports under my firewall settings (I use Dlink DIR-655 wireless) and added to windows's firewall exceptions.

I've tried disabling UPnP, NAT-PMP, I've tried other ports (each time opening the new port with router's port forwarding), I've tried disabling additionnal uploads slots if torrent < 90%. Nothing worked. But I don't think this is the problem. Like I said, it worked fine few days ago.

Any clues?

Thanks.

I have exactly same problem here. Started about 3 days ago or so, I can upload like before but downloading is at 50ish kt/s at best when it was at 200ish before.

My isp is DNA and i'm using Telewell TW-EA501, propably software related since we have different modems and propably isp's too.

Using Utorrent 1.8.5, had 1.8.4 which I updated to 1.8.5 yesterday - same problem with 1.8.4.

Edit: after a bit of googling and checking latest windows updates I find our old enemy: software distribution service 3.0 - this is propably causing this problem but using restore point to undo it did not do any good.

It's some halfass microsoft update thing, known to cause problems with connections to internet before. I'm currently trying to get rid of it somehow, will post here if I find solution.

EDIT: system restore did not help, I did it in safe mode and turned automatic updates off before doing that. I still have yellow icon on Utorrent. I'm out of ideas, propably better to wait for someone wiser than me.

I can't find anything about this, where can I check to see if I got it installed? I checked "show installed update" and nothing about this (last update installed are october 30th).

Just to mention, I'm under Win 7.

EDIT : I don't have any yellow icon. Mine is green. It's only when I'm checking "test if port forwarded correctly" under speed guide that it tells me sometimes "OK! Port XXX is open and accepting connections" then refresh few times and get "An error has occurred! Port XXX does not appear to be open."

Found mine from start > programs > accessories > system tools > system restore (not sure about this, using Finnish windows but you get the idea). This problem started about 3 days ago and at that time software distribution service was installed so i'm pretty sure that's the problem.

XP sp2 here.

Edit: mine is sometimes yellow and sometimes green, from test I always get red result - refreshed few times but it did not change. Currently I have green icon, I get red result and i'm downloading 150ish kt/s - this is just weird.

Both problems happens with uTorrent and Bittorrent (though, they are pretty much the exact same program). They are both on two different ports. Interesting enought, it seems the ~28 k/sec is shared between both programs, means if one gets 20 k/sec dwl, the second won't go more than 8 k/sec, and vice versa.

Seems to be network related. I've try utorrent on my laptop, same problem. But then again, I've made no change to router's settings and it worked fine few days ago.

I think I have the same problem here.

Yellow triangle 'problem with your network config', port not open, max. speed of about 25k.

I thought my PCtools firewall caused problems, because when I exit this, the symbol becomes green, and the port is given open. But speed does not rise.

And after a while, the port is given closed again, yellow triangle.

I had this problem I found that everytime I disabled the firewall the torrents downloaded and everything was fine but as soon as I switched it back on the red showed up. To fix this all I did was remove all the programme permissions from the firewall. then granted new ones when the utorrent wanted to connect. its been ok since. Hope this helps

I just downloaded a file at 600-700kB/s with a yellow triangle at the bottom, and a negative port test. Didn't know that that was possible. I was connected to a lot of seeds (23(76)) but no peers (0(44)).

Without changing anything, I downloaded another file at 200kB/s; now there was a green symbol. 25(106) seeds and 5(178) peers.

I don't understand anymore how it works.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm having the same problem with a netgear WNR834B router. For what it's worth I'm starting to think that port forwarding is actually working (I'm getting decent download speeds only the port forward checker comes back with an error.... sometimes). However, even at times when the utorrent port forwarding checker is showing an error when I test the same port with http://www.canyouseeme.org/ it comes back succesfull. Not sure if theres any way to actually prove my theory.

I take that back. It appears that http://www.canyouseeme.org/ shows the same inermittent issues with port forwarding. Though it seems to report back more successes than the utorren port checker.

Hello all,

I have been having the same problem as you do: port opens and closes intermittently. I the whole day searching the web and trying different recommendations. I happened to stumble on something which worked for me!!!

1.) start utorrent and STOP ALL downloads and uploads.

2.) forward the port on your router = through default gateway (192.168.1.1)

- you can go to portforward.com for more info

3.) set the port in utorrent-options->preference->connections

4.) Viola, your port should stay open..

I still get intermittent error on the utorrent port checker... However, canyouseeme.org, and pfportchecker confirms open!

Hope this helps!

• 2 weeks later...

Having the same problem.

By the way anyone have any ideas about this?

"

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : home-494ff7ece8

Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :

Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown

IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-24-8C-EB-3A-52

Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 172.16.75.17

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.128

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : fe80::224:8cff:feeb:3a52%5

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 172.16.75.1

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 172.16.0.1

fec0:0:0:ffff::1%1

fec0:0:0:ffff::2%1

fec0:0:0:ffff::3%1

Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-EF-0A-8E-EA-B3-80

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 2001:0:cf2e:3096:0:ef0a:8eea:b380

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : fe80::ffff:ffff:fffd%4

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : ::

NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

Tunnel adapter Automatic Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Automatic Tunneling Pseudo-Interface

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : AC-10-4B-11

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : fe80::5efe:172.16.75.17%2

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : fec0:0:0:ffff::1%1

fec0:0:0:ffff::2%1

fec0:0:0:ffff::3%1

NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled"

This is the dos output when I run the command "cmd /k; ipconfig /all".

Are they interrelated somehow? any kind of help would be appreciable .

Archived